The Microsoft Office 365 web portal, as well as OneDrive and Skype for Business, will be unavailable from Wednesday, December 27, 2017 until Tuesday, January 2, 2018 while UMass Amherst Information Technology transitions to a new UMass Office 365 site. After January 2, 2018, members of the university community can log in to the new Office 365 web portal using a new account, with the format:
- Username: NetID@umass.edu
- Password: SPIRE password
About Microsoft Office 365 Education
Office 365 Education is the Microsoft Office 365 suite available at no cost to UMass Amherst students (including students who have recently graduated), faculty, staff, and retirees with active SPIRE accounts. Eligible members of the university community can install Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote on up to 5 devices (Windows or Mac) and Office apps on mobile devices including Windows tablets and iPads. The program also includes 1TB of OneDrive storage. Office 365 Education on Windows also includes Publisher and Access.
What's New & Different After January 2, 2018
- Data currently stored on OneDrive will not be automatically transferred to your new account. If you are using OneDrive, transfer your files from your old account to the new before January 31, 2018. Learn how using these steps.
- To access your old Office 365 account, log in at portal.office.com using the following format: username: AccountName@umass0.onmicrosoft.com (where AccountName is what was used when you created your initial account) and your password.
- Document-sharing with non-UMass users may need to be re-established. Re-check sharing permissions.
- Groups, required for Teams and SharePoint sites, will only be created by request. Information on how to request groups will be posted on the IT website.
- If you are using Skype for Business, you may need to re-add your favorites.
- If you are connecting to the President’s Office SharePoint instance, you may need to request access for your new account.
- If you are a student who recently graduated, you can access your new account using NetID@umass.edu as long as your SPIRE account is active. Information for students who have graduated on transitioning to a paid Office 365 account will be available soon.
We appreciate your patience as we undergo this transition. If you experience any issues accessing Office 365, OneDrive, or Skype for Business after the maintenance period, please, please contact IT User Services at 413-545-TECH (8324) or firstname.lastname@example.org.