Grant management is complicated. ISSR is here to help.
Social science faculty interested in sponsored research can request free assistance in completing applications for grants, contracts, and fellowships; navigating submission processes with the University and sponsoring organizations; award set-up; and managing post-award activities.
On July 8 Kuali Research replaced SmartGrant for proposal submissions and award management; the e-Protocol for human (IRB) and animal (IACUC) subjects, as well as a new online disclosure process for Conflicts of Interest, will be put into effect in Kuali on September 9. The Office of Research & Engagement has scheduled workshops for faculty, graduate students, and administrators engaged in proposal development. To register, visit: www.umass.edu/wld/learn-grow (under In-person workshops click Research and Engagement).
To receive ISSR support for your proposal submission, notify us at least six weeks in advance of the sponsor deadline to allow time for preparation, determination of submission timeline, review, and coordination with internal and online application systems.
Pre-Award Grant Support
- Managing cross-college or interdisciplinary collaborative grant proposals
- Reviewing sponsor guidelines
- Establishing timelines for completing proposals on time
- Navigating University policies and procedures
- Preparing budgets and budget justifications
- Uploading documents to the University's online Grant Application Management System (Kuali) and sponsor systems such as Grants.gov and the National Science Foundation's FastLane
- Routing electronic approval paperwork
- Serving as liaison with the University's Office of Research Development, Research Business Manager Network, Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations, and other on-campus resources
Grants Support Contact
In the case of limited support availability at ISSR, the Office of Research Administration and Compliance also have dedicated staff to support proposal preparation and submission. Contact them here: https://www.umass.edu/research/webform/request-proposal-development-support.
Post-Award Grant Support
- Pre-establishing accounts and setting up new awards
- Guiding new principal investigators
- Reviewing project budgets and expenditures
- Preparing reports as needed and assisting with award close-out