ISSR Social Science Research Scholars Program: How to Apply
- This program is for the preparation of new sponsored research proposals only—not revisions or resubmissions.
- These awards will support cases only where the applicant would be the principal investigator of the submitted proposal. If they could not be lead PI because of junior status, or the funding agency is outside their field, they would be a co-PI on the proposed project.
- In the event that we receive a higher than normal number of applications, ISSR will prioritize applications by faculty who have not received any other proposal preparation grants in the last 3 years.
- It is anticipated that awards will result in a proposal submission with a sponsor deadline no later than December 31, 2015. If a proposal is not submitted by this time, the Scholar will be expected to teach an overload to repay the course reduction.
- The SBS Dean will fund the course buyout for both SBS and non-SBS faculty, up to $6300; chairs must agree to the proposed course reduction.
- This award is available to all ranks of tenure-line social science faculty across the university.
- In addition to individual Scholars applications, a new option this year is for Scholar Collaborators to apply. We will now accept applications from interdisciplinary partners who are working on joint grant proposals. The two people who are applying as Scholar Collaborators must be from two different home departments at UMass; cross-college collaborations are also encouraged.
- Please read the SBS Dean's RTF funding structure policy for proposals/grants run through ISSR.
- Begin the application with your name, department, years in rank, and working title of your planned proposal. Please include your e-mail address.
- Summarize the proposal you anticipate you will prepare: a description of the research and methodological approach. This should be kept to 2-3 pages.
- Identify anticipated co-investigators and whether you will be the principal investigator of the proposal.
- Identify the anticipated sponsor(s) to whom you will submit the proposal.
- Briefly itemize external sponsored research support you have already received over the course of your career and describe in detail any version of the current proposal that has previously been submitted for funding.
- Include a recent CV.
- Include a supporting letter from your department chair (for non-SBS faculty, a supporting letter from your college dean).
- Please indicate if you will also be applying to CRF's Family Research Scholars program, which offers a similar faculty grant development seminar series for faculty working on family-related research.
Submit applications via e-mail to Karen Mason, ISSR Grants Manager. Applications should be contained in one Word doc or PDF file (proposal summary followed by CV and letter of support, all in one attached file-however, if desired, the department chair or college dean may submit their letter of support to Karen separately.
Please direct any questions to Jennifer Lundquist, ISSR Advisor.
Application deadline: January 24, 2014
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of UMass social science faculty, and decision notificaton will be made on February 14, 2014.