UMass Grant Workshops
Social Science Grants Managers/Coordinators outside ISSR at UMass
- Political Science - Michelle Goncalves
- CPPA - Susan Newton
- Psychology - Sue Randall
- Education - Charlene Holley
- Public Health - Linda Downs-Bembury
- Nursing - Kathern Pierce
- Resource Economics - Gail Fleischaker
- Statistics - Phil Szczepanski
Commonly Used Funding Search Databases
- Sign up for funding alerts.
Useful Grantwriting Guides, Tool Kits, and Advice
- Overview of proposal writing published by the Social Science Research Council
- This document contains advice produced from an informal survey of UMass administrators about the value of grant-seeking by faculty, especially those still on the tenure track.
- This page contains helpful links compiled by UMass Research and Engagement for grants information and advice.
- This document provides a collection of findings about funding for qualitative research from an NSF workshop.
- This column sponsored by the Sociologists for Women in Society also offers good advice about grant-seeking.
- Advice for applying for foundation grants
- Advice on applying for an NIH grant:
- Advice for applying to NIH for the Social Sciences
- This video provides useful insights into the NIH review process.
- NIH's informative Esource website on the integration of social sciences into the NIH mission
- Advice on applying for an NSF grant:
- Advice on Writing Proposals to the National Science Foundation. Susan Finger, Carnegie Mellon University
- How to Write an NSF Proposal. Cindy Grimm
- On Broader Impacts criteria and resources at UMass
- Facilities, Equipment & Other Resources document
- Advice for creating and examples of Data Management Plans from UC San Diego and UMichigan
Sample Grant Applications
1. By UMass Social Scientists
- Example of a successfully funded NSF grant application [doc] reviews
- Example of a NSF grant application that was not funded [doc] reviews [doc]
We are seeking more examples. If you would be willing to submit yours, please email Karen Mason.
2. Available on the Web