Data Management Help
- ISSR provides free consulting and occasional workshops on data management and analysis in Stata, NVivo, R, SPSS, and SAS.
- The UMass library provides data management plan consultation and workshops for faculty and graduate student research projects here.
- Our ICPSR membership provides data management webinars and guidelines.
Secure Data Room
- ISSR provides a secure research facility for projects involving confidential data that require dedicated, secure space.
For social science scholars looking for secondary datasets to use for their research and teaching, ISSR maintains membership with the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), which is managed by the UMass library system. Search for data sources here.
IMPORTANT: To be recognized as part of a member institution so that you can get full access to services, the ICPSR website must be accessed through the W. E. B. DuBois library site (link above).
ICPSR maintains and provides access to a vast archive of social science data for research and instruction. To ensure that data resources are available to future generations of scholars, ICPSR preserves data, migrating them to new storage media as changes in technology warrant. Learn more about how to use ICPSR resources here.
UMass is the hub institution for the Massachusetts Federation of the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR). Established in 1962, ICPSR is an active partner in social science research and instruction throughout the world. ICPSR's data resources, user support, and training in quantitative methods make it a vital resource for fostering inquiry and furthering the social sciences.
Massachusetts Federation of ICPSR
Hub OR: Leslie Button
Member Institutions and Federation Organizational Representatives:
- Amherst College: Susan Edwards
- College of the Holy Cross: Bob Scheier
- Mount Holyoke College: James Burke
- Smith College: Howard Gold
- ISSR at University of Massachusetts Amherst: Jennifer Lundquist
- University of Massachusetts Boston: George Hart
- University of Massachusetts Dartmouth: Heidi Berggren
- University of Massachusetts Lowell: Nina Coppens