The Institute for Social Science Research coordinates multiple aspects of research funding for faculty at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, including:
- Facilitating interdisciplinary grants development
- Strategizing public and philanthropic sources of research funding
- Education about upcoming funding opportunities
- Assistance completing and submitting grant proposals
- Administrative support of grant awards
As reflected in the University’s strategic plan, ISSR welcomes a range of social science research approaches, including, but not limited to, basic, applied, and community-engaged research. A strong preference is given to generating new research activities, such as a new research project or a new direction within an existing project. Priority is given to those projects that are likely to lead to external research funding, and, in the case of the ISSR Scholars Program, an external proposal submission is an expected outcome.