Internal Funding Opportunities for Faculty
- Faculty Research Grant (FRG)/Healey Endowment Grant ($15,000 limit). Deadline: March 7, 2014.
- SBS Research Support Grant ($7,000-$14,000 limit). Deadline: October 1, 2013.
- Public Service Endowment Grant (PSEG) ($15,000 limit). Collaborative interactions with community (Commonwealth-based) and related scholarship for the mutually beneficial exchange, exploration and application of knowledge, information and resources. See website for 2013-14 deadline.
- Samuel F. Conti Faculty Fellowship Award. This is a cash award of $3,500 and a year's leave of absence to enable award recipients to concentrate on research and scholarly or creative activity. See their website for 2014-15 submission procedure and deadline.
- UMass President's Office Creative Economy Initiatives Fund ($10,000-40,000). The President's Creative Economy Iinitiatives Fund is intended to provide funding to initiatives that support the contributions of the arts, humanities and social sciences to the social and cultural fabric of the Commonwealth. Funding may be used to develop initiatives within the campus, with other campuses or with partners outside the campus; to support the search for larger grants or follow-on awards; or to support research that informs local, state, national or international decision-making. See website for 2013-14 application process and deadlines.
- MSP Research Support Fund ($800) For bargaining unit members active in research who do not have access to significant alternative funding, such as Research Trust Funds, gifts, external research grants, etc. See website for 2013-14 application process and deadlines.
- Research Asistant Funding Supplement. This supplement substantially subsidizes the cost of employing eligible research assistants for summer research. Students should visit or call Financial Aid Services, 243 Whitmore, 413 577-0555 if they have any questions.
- ISSR Social Science Scholars Program. Course reduction for year-long proposal preparation seminar.
- SBS's Large Grants Support Program provides a course release for faculty who bring in large grants.
- Lilly Teaching Fellowship. This award provides a course release to develop teaching skills. The Center for Teaching also offers other teaching/mentoring grants.
- The Family Research Scholars Program provides a course release and other support for up to six faculty to each produce and submit a major grant proposal for family research in collaboration with the Center.
- ISSR offers two scholarships each year to graduate students and faculty to attend summer quantitative methods workshops for four weeks at the University of Michigan’s Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR).
- Publication Subvention Program to assist in the costs of book and scholarly publication.
Deadlines and links are accurate as of time of posting, September 2013. If you discover that a funding source has revised submission deadlines or that a link posted here is no longer functioning, please notify Karen Mason.