What is MaCIE?
The Massachusetts Council for International Education (MaCIE) is an
association, founded in 1991, which links Massachusetts
public institutions of higher education in a common commitment to promote
international education among our diverse constituencies.
Mission: The purpose of MaCIE is to serve the Commonwealth and its
residents by developing and enhancing the capacity of member institutions
to foster knowledge and appreciation of international cultures and issues.
The MaCIE Board, comprised of a representative from each of the 29
campuses, meets each fall and spring. The MaCIE Executive Committee meets
as needed to facilitate the planning of activities.
Objectives of MaCIE
- To encourage and generate support for international education within
the Commonwealth and beyond.
- To serve as a communication link among the public higher education
campuses of Massachusetts for international education programs,
activities, and ideas.
- To assist public institutions of higher education in the development
of international programs, activities and appropriate infrastructure.
- To advocate the study of world languages and a global curriculum and
climate on individual campuses.
- To provide opportunities for the professional development of
faculty and staff.
Activities and publications
- Annual conference - Each year in November, MaCIE sponsors an
annual conference on international education on one of the MaCIE campuses.
- Student & faculty exchange - MaCIE promotes and encourages the
sharing of student and faculty exchange opportunities abroad.
- Special topic workshops - Every spring MaCIE sponsors a special
topic workshop on issues such as "Financial Aid for Study Abroad
Students", "Integration of the International Student into College and
Community", "Mainstreaming the ESL Student" and "Using the Internet to
Strengthen International Education."
- MaCIE Website - The MaCIE WWW site features the list of MaCIE institutions with links to the web sites of members, MaCIE Facts, the newsletter and
other information. By linking to the web sites of MaCIE institutions,
the MaCIE WWW site offers access to the most up-to-date international
programs information available on the internet for the 29 Massachusetts
state colleges, community colleges and universities and promotes
international opportunities which are affordable and accessible to our
students, faculty and staff.
- MaCIE Newsletter - Several times throughout the year, MaCIE
distributes a newsletter to members. This newsletter allows
members to keep abreast of MaCIE activities as well as news of
federal and state funding regarding international education.
- MaCIE Lecture Series - Each fall MaCIE invites applications
from faculty and staff of the member institutions to serve as a
special lecturer during the spring on two other MaCIE campuses. The
goal of this program is to assist in building an internationally-oriented
campus by providing qualified lecturers.
- MaCIE Networking - Many networking opportunities are available
through the various activities of MaCIE: the annual conference,
workshops and committees of the Board, as well as the annual
Retreat in February. For more information contact your Board member
or the MaCIE Scretariat.
- Special Projects - Collaboration among member institutions as
special projects arise
For more information, contact:
Maryélise Lamet, Secretary/Treasurer
William S. Clark International Center
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003
Phone: (413) 545 2710
Fax: (413) 545 1201