HOW TO APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
Visit the Social Security Administration website for up-to-date information: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
Who is eligible to apply? Generally speaking, social security numbers are available to F-1 who are employed, J-1, and H-1 visa holders. If you are in a dependent visa category (for example J-2) but have employment permission, you will also be able to apply for a number. F-2 visa holders do not have employment permission and are not eligible to receive a social security number.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
*Attention: Original visa documents are required for the application process.
Completed application. Form SS-5: www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf (application on page 5)
- Note: On #5 Citizenship, on the SS-5 form, check off “Legal Alien Allowed to Work”
- Copy of your passport page with validity dates and signature*
- [All other documents based on your visa type-please see below.]
- F-1 visa holders must also have:
- Copy of current I-20*
- Valid F-1 visa page in passport*
- Entry stamp indicating your date of entry and F-1 visa (usually stamped near your F-1 visa page)*
- Original Employer’s Letter (www.umass.edu/ipo/iss/_files/F1 student sample letter.doc) on hiring department’s letterhead and must be signed by both employer and IPO.
- J-1 visa holders must also have:
- Current DS-2019*
- Valid J-1 visa page in passport*
- Entry stamp indicating your date of entry and J-1 visa (usually stamped near your J-1 visa page)*
- Original signed letter from your J-1 visa sponsor. Note: If UMass is not your sponsor, the letter must come from the sponsoring agency, e.g. Fulbright, Laspau, etc.
- J-2 visa holders must also have:
- Current DS-2019*
- Valid J-2 visa page in passport*
- Entry stamp indicating your date of entry and J-2 visa (usually stamped near your J-2 visa page)*
- Copy of your Employment Authorization Document (EAD)*
Local Social Security Office
The SSA office in Holyoke, MA is located at 200 High St., Phone: 1-877-480-4989; Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am-3pm & Wed. 9am-noon (except Federal Holidays)
By Car from UMass: Take I-91 South and get off at exit 17. Take a left onto MA-141 East, toward Holyoke Center. Turn left onto Easthampton Street and continue onto Dwight Street. Turn left onto High Street. The current estimated travel time is approximately 30 minutes (one-way).
By Bus from UMass: Use the PVTA "Trip Planner": www.umass.edu/transit/trip_planner.html. Follow the instructions provided by PVTA. Use "200 High Street, Holyoke, MA" as your destination. This site will provide suggested bus routes. The current shortest estimated travel time is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes (one-way).