HOW TO APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD AT THE HOLYOKE OFFICE
Visit the Social Security Administration website for up-to-date information: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
Who is eligible to apply? Generally speaking, social security numbers are available to F-1 who are employed, J-1, and H-1 visa holders. If you are in a dependent visa category (for example J-2) but have employment permission, you will also be able to apply for a number. F-2 visa holders do not have employment permission and are not eligible to receive a social security number.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
Completed application. Form SS-5: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
- Note: On #5 Citizenship, on the SS-5 form, check off “Legal Alien Allowed to Work”
- Valid passport & visa
- I-94 card (white card in your passport)
4. [All other documents based on your visa type-please see below.]
- F-1 visa holders must also have:
- Current I-20
- Employer’s Letter (http://www.umass.edu/ipo/iss/_files/F1 student sample letter.doc) on hiring department’s letterhead and must be signed by both employer and IPO.
- J-1 visa holders must also have:
- Current DS-2019
- A signed letter from IPO. Note: If UMass is not your sponsor, the letter must come from the sponsoring agency, e.g. Fulbright, Laspau, etc.
- J-2 visa holders must also have:
- Current DS-2019
- An Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
Local Social Security Office
The SSA office in Holyoke, MA is located at 200 High St.
Phone: 1-877-480-4989; Open: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am-3pm & Wed. 9am-noon (except Federal Holidays)
By Car: Take 91 South and get off at exit 17. Take a left onto the exit onto route 141. At the second traffic light on 141, you will see a 7-11 store on the left. At this point, bear right at a 45 degree angle and continue on route 141. Route 141 is now called Appleton Street. Drive down Appleton Street until you reach the third light, and then take a left onto High Street.
By Bus: Use the PVTA "Trip Planner" on the PVTA website. Trip Planner will take you to Google Maps. Enter your departure location and enter your destination as "200 High Street, Holyoke, MA". This site will provide suggested bus routes. Estimated travel time by bus is approximately 1 hour 40 mins. (one way).