Social Security Representatives will accept applications on campus on Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2015 from 8:30am to 1:30pm in Newman Center, classroom 2.
Handwritten SS-5 applications will not be accepted.
See below for J-2 application instructions.
APPLYING FOR A SSN IN HOLYOKE, MA
Visit the Social Security Administration website for up-to-date information.
- Completed application. Form SS-5. Note: On #5 Citizenship, on the SS-5 form, check off “Legal Alien Allowed to Work".
- Copy of your passport page with validity dates and signature.*
- [All other documents are based on your visa type-please see below.
F-1 visa holders must also have:
- Copy of current I-20.*
- Copy of your valid F-1 visa page in passport.*
- Copy of your entry stamp indicating your date of entry and F-1 visa (usually stamped near your F-1 visa page).*
- Original Employer’s Letter (must be on hiring department’s letterhead and must be signed by both employer and IPO)
J-1 visa holders must also have:
- Copy of current DS-2019.*
- Copy of valid J-1 visa page in passpor.t*
- Copy of entry stamp indicating your date of entry and J-1 visa (usually stamped near your J-1 visa page).*
- Original signed letter from your J-1 visa sponsor. Note: If UMass is not your sponsor, the letter must come from the sponsoring agency, e.g. Fulbright, Laspau, etc.
J-2 visa holders must also have:
- Copy of current DS-2019.*
- Copy of valid J-2 visa page in passport.*
- Copy of entry stamp indicating your date of entry and J-2 visa (usually stamped near your J-2 visa page).*
- Copy of your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).*
*Original documents also required.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY? Generally speaking, social security numbers are available to F-1 who are employed, J-1, and H-1 visa holders. If you are in a dependent visa category (for example J-2) but have employment permission, you will also be able to apply for a number. F-2 visa holders do not have employment permission and are not eligible to receive a social security number.
HOW TO GET TO THE HOLYOKE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (SSA) OFFICE. The SSA office in Holyoke, MA is located at 200 High St., Phone: 1-877-480-4989; Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am-3pm & Wed. 9am-noon (except Federal Holidays)
By Car from UMass: Take I-91 South and get off at exit 17. Take a left onto MA-141 East, toward Holyoke Center. Turn left onto Easthampton Street and continue onto Dwight Street. Turn left onto High Street. The current estimated travel time is approximately 30 minutes (one-way).
By Bus from UMass: Use the PVTA "Trip Planner": www.umass.edu/transit/trip_planner.html. Follow the instructions provided by PVTA. Use "200 High Street, Holyoke, MA" as your destination. This site will provide suggested bus routes. The current shortest estimated travel time is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes (one-way).