UMass Transit (PVTA)
UMass Transit operates the PVTA buses for the UMass Amherst campus and the other Five Colleges as well as the towns of Amherst, Belchertown, Deerfield, Granby, Hadley, Northampton, South Hadley, and Sunderland. Schedule and routes information are here.
Taxi Services (Amherst area)
Gotta Go Taxi: 413-461-3070
City Cab: 413-568-6177
Ambassador Taxi: 413-345-8912
Early Lodging (arriving before orientation begins)
Non-Umass Bus Services
- Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA): This bus service operates throughout the local area. There is limited service on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. The bus is free of charge during school sessions with proper school identification card. Without a school identification card some buses cost will charge a fare (they need to be in exact change). Call 413- 586-5806 or 413-545-0056 for definite schedules.
- Peter Pan Bus Service: This bus line offers services between New York and Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington. Includes schedules and fairs, terminal locations, and fleet details.
- Mega Bus: This bus service offers discount service from Amherst to NYC and Hartford
A dependable older model car can be found for around $3500. Keep in mind that Massachusetts requires a yearly inspection of cars. Without an inspection sticker the car cannot be driven. There is also mandatory car insurance which will cost about $700. The registry will charge a 5% state sales tax and your town will bill you annually for another tax which is $25 per $1000 ($50 for a $2000 car). Most insurance companies will give a discount if you can prove you are a safe driver. It helps to bring a document from your home agency or government stating this.
Need a car? Borrow a Zipcar! UMass Amherst partners with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. To use Zipcars, simply register as a member, reserve a car online or by phone, use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away. When you’re done, return the car to the same location where you picked it up.
As a member you get:
- Access to Zipcars 24/7.
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff and students age 18 and older: rates start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day.
- Gas, insurance and maintenance are included for free!
- Join for only $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.