How to Come to UMass

If you would like to come to the University of Massachusetts Amherst as a Post Doctoral Researcher, Visiting Scholar or Visiting Professor, you MUST be sponsored by a faculty member in the department in which you will be working.

The International Programs Office (IPO) will not process any requests unless they are made by the sponsoring Department.

If you do not have a UMass contact, you can go on-line to see who may be appropriate for sponsoring your research.

If the faculty member agrees to sponsor you, he/she will contact our office to start the visa processing. You will receive a J-1 application Form B which you will need to complete and return to the sponsor along with your CV, proof of funding, and a $425 application fee (this fee may or may not be paid by the sponsoring Department).

When the J application is received by IPO, we will send out the J-1 Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) along with instructions for applying for the visa at the US consulate. This is usually done within 2 weeks and is sent to you by express mail.

Depending on circumstances, a J visa may not be appropriate for you. If this is the case, we will consult with you and your sponsoring department and other visas (e.g. H1B, O1,TN, B1) may be considered on a case by case basis.