Exceptions to Full-Time Enrollment
For your first semester studying at UMass, acceptable reasons (as mandated by SEVIS) for a Reduced Course Load (RCL) are the following:
- Initial difficulty with reading requirements
- Initial difficulty with English language
- Unfamiliar with American teaching methods
- Improper course placement
- For your final semester studying at UMass, RCL is allowed if the requirments for your degree can be completed with fewer courses.
- RCL is acceptable if you have a medical condition that demands that you reduce your courseload; you must have a written recommendation from your doctor.
For all above scenarios, students must get permission from an international student advisor so that the authorization can be noted in SEVIS.
For Graduate Students ONLY: If you are taking less than 9 credits, or are registered for Program Fee, you must request that your academic department submit a full-time memo from your Graduate Program Director (GPD) to the Graduate Records Office. Otherwise, you will be included in the Alert List indicating that you are not maintaining your visa status.