Exceptions to Full-Time Enrollment
For your first term studying at UMass, acceptable reasons (as mandated by SEVIS) for a Reduced Course Load (RCL) are the following:
- Initial difficulty with reading requirements
- Initial difficulty with English language
- Unfamiliar with American teaching methods
- Improper course placement
- For your final term studying at UMass, RCL is allowed if the requirments for your degree can be completed with fewer courses.
- RCL is acceptable if you have a medical condition that demands that you reduce your courseload; you must have a written recommendation from your doctor.
For all above scenarios, students must get permission from an international student advisor so that the authorization can be noted in SEVIS.