Founded in 1880, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU Amsterdam) is a comprehensive research university, consistently ranked among the top 150 universities in the world. It comprises twelve faculties and has teaching facilities for 26,000 students.Location
The university campus and university hospital are situated in the south-western part of Amsterdam, one of the most dynamic and fast-growing business districts in the Netherlands. Schiphol-Amsterdam airport is 10 kilometers away--just 8 minutes by train.
Founded in 1591 by Queen Elizabeth I, Trinity College is one of the oldest universities in Europe. It is located in the heart of Dublin, opposite the former parliament buildings and within walking distance of museums, libraries, theaters, cinemas, shops and restaurants. The college buildings are set on 40 acres of gardens and open green spaces, and the oldest buildings date from the 1700's. Despite expansion in recent times and intense competition for admission, Trinity maintains its traditions of a rigorous intellectual atmosphere with close contact between staff and students. The Trinity College library is the largest research and teaching library in Ireland and among the most important in Europe. It has a treasured collection of medieval manuscripts, including the priceless eighth-century Book of Kells.
UCL, is one of the highest ranked universities in the UK and in the top ten universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings). From its earliest days, UCL has been at the forefront of teaching and research, and it can count 21 Nobel prizewinners among its past staff and students. UCL now has a student population of about 22,000, among which are students from almost 140 countries. UCL GuideThe UMass exchange with UCL is with two departments exclusively: Chemical Engineering and Linguistics.
- Applicants in all academic fields except performing and studio arts are welcome to apply.
- Applicants should be US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Foreign nationals are eligible if they have studied at an accredited US or Canadian university for more than one year by the time of application.
- Applicants in the arts, humanities and social sciences should have a good command of German.
- Applicants are requested to have a well-defined study/research project that makes a stay in Germany essential.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have been invited by a faculty member at a German university to study at a particular university department.
At the University of Queensland (UQ) St. Lucia, you will be directly enrolled with Australian students. University of Massachusetts Amherst students may apply in fields for which they have sufficient background and must meet necessary prerequisites for certain courses.
Students in the past have recommended taking courses at the 100 or 200 level. Unlike the U.S. university system, universities in Australia offer upper-level courses at the 100 to 200 level. Courses at the 300 level tend to be rather advanced, much like our graduate courses, and may not be suitable for you, especially if you have never had a course in the particular department. However, you may request a 300-level course if you really feel it necessary and appropriate.