The Glass Family Product Demonstration Awards fund promising business concepts on a rolling basis each academic year. It encourages students and recent graduates (up to three years out) of any UMass campus to engineer and/or further develop their early stage innovations, to test their concepts, and gain customer/market feedback for the potential pursuit of a new business venture.
Teams may apply more than once, but can receive no more than $2,500 in funding per academic year (Sept. 1 – Aug. 31) per prototype/venture. Applicants must be actively participating in the UMass Innovation Challenge at the time of the disbursement of funds.
The Glass Family Product Demonstration Awards are generously supported by The Robert and Sandra Glass Innovation Fund, and administered by the UMass Innovation Challenge. For more information, visit www.umass.edu/innovation .
To be eligible for an award, please answer the following questions, and electronically submit to firstname.lastname@example.org . You must enter the UMass Innovation Challenge (UMass IC) prior to submitting an application. Be sure to include your UMass IC Team Name and contact information in your correspondence. Please note, applications may be shared with prize sponsors so please limit your submission to non-confidential information.
- Product concept/business description (including general economics – possible ultimate revenue/profits)
- Why would customers pay for this product – what problem are you solving? How much do you need, and how will you spend the funding? [Feel free to attach renderings, type of materials, flow charts for websites, etc.]
- Where will you build this prototype? Who is your UMass team advisor?
- In what ways will you use this prototype to gain market feedback? How would a Glass Family Product Demonstration Award help your team win funding from the UMass Innovation Challenge competition?
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and reviewed according to the following schedule:
- any time after 11/1/2013 for teams who competed in calendar year 2013 UMass IC events, and are entering future UMass IC competitions.
- any time after 1/2/2014 for teams who are entering spring 2014 UMass IC competitions
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application by e-mail. Awardees can expect payment to be processed within three weeks from the date of award notification, subject to receipt of any required paperwork/signatures.