Instructions for All Benefited Employees

Work Life Event: 
Applies To: 
All Benefited Employees

Name Change

If your name has changed, please update Human Resources accordingly.

GIC Health Insurance

You may add your new spouse and new dependents (if any) by completing and submitting a GIC Form 1  to the HRESC within 30 days of marriage with proof of marriage and (if applicable) proof of dependent(s) relationship to your new spouse. If any dependent children are over 19 years of age a GIC Age 19+ form is also required.

Coverage is effective the first day of the month in which you were married. As premiums are deducted via payroll one month in advance, if you are moving from an individual to a family plan you must also provide a check or money order made out to the GIC for the difference between the individual and family premium contributions. Premium contributions are provided in the GIC’s Benefits Decision Guide . If you bring a check with you the HRESC staff is pleased to assist in calculating the additional premium due.

Any health insurance you were providing a former spouse (if applicable) at the time of your (or his/her) remarriage will end. (MGL Chapter 32A, Section 11a prohibits providing GIC health insurance coverage to a former spouse if either party is remarried. This does not alleviate any responsibility for providing continued coverage required by a divorce decree/QuaDRO/DRO.) Your former spouse may elect continuation of coverage under COBRA (GIC COBRA notice/premiums ).

GIC Optional Life Insurance

Upon marriage you may enroll for up to four times your annual salary in GIC Optional Life Insurance (if you do not already carry this amount of coverage or more) without passing a medical evidence of insurability exam. To do this you must complete a GIC Insurance Enrollment and Change Form (Form 1)  to the HRESC within 31 days of the qualifying event with a copy of your marriage certificate.

Health Care Spending Account and/or Dependent Care Assistance Program

 Marriage is a qualifying event allowing you to enroll for coverage under the HCSA and/or DCPA or to change your annual election amount.


You may wish to change your retirement beneficiaries

If you have an MSERS Option D form in place and marry thereafter, your new spouse has the legal right to Option D benefits regardless of the prior Option D arrangement in place. Nonetheless, if your intention is for your new spouse to be your Option D beneficiary it is advisable to complete and submit an Option D SERS Option D Form and supporting documentation to the MA State Board of Retirement. Additional information is provided in When Option D Comes Before Option C


You may wish to change your Massachusetts and/or Federal income tax withholding/exemptions. Please contact a tax specialist or financial advisor if you require tax advice.