- Student Personnel Action Form
- Student Resident Assistant Action Form
- Student Contract
- Student Conditions of Employment
Academic 2013-2014 Student Employment Information
For the majority of students, you can use the Rapid Student Hire process to create academic student appointments, selecting either ANWS (Academic Student Hourly) or AWS3 (Academic Student Work Study) as the “Hire Template”.
The Rapid Student Hire process cannot be used to create appointments under the following circumstances. Rather you must complete a hardcopy Student Personnel Action Form (SPAF): (When completing a Student Personnel Action Form, please fill in all required information on the PAF to ensure correct processing and record number identification.)
- The hourly rate is more than $13.00 per hour. A brief description of the job duties is required. All appointments with an hourly rate more than $13.00 must be forwarded to the Student Employment Office, 243 Whitmore Administration Building. The Student Employment Office will review the job description and if approved forward the PAF to Human Resources for processing.
- The individual being hired is a graduate student being paid on an hourly basis. (Contact the Graduate Assistantship Office for the appropriate form.) All graduate hourly appointments must be forwarded to the Graduate Assistantship Office, 517 Goodell Building. The Graduate Assistantship Office will approve the appointment form and forward to Human Resources for processing.
- Student Academic Contract Appointments must be approved by Human Resources prior to initiating a PAF. Please contact Tim Cendrowski at 545-6106 for further information.
- Student is on an F-1 or J-1 visa. The student should complete his/her paperwork in room 325 Whitmore Administration Building, Employee Service Center to ensure proper employee work authorization, verify documentation and determine employee tax status prior to the start of employment. The department will need to complete the Student PAF and all forms should be submitted together for processing.
- A student on an F1 visa has INS document I-20. An I-20 indicates the period allowed for attendance and study at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. A student’s employment must fall within these dates. F-1 students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week during Intersession and Spring Break.
- A student on a J-1 visa has INS document DS2019. The DS2019 document functions in the same manner as an I-20. It indicates the period allowed for attendance and study at the University. Similarly, a student’s employment must fall within the dates indicated on the DS2019. J-1 students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours during Intersession and Spring Break.
- A SPAF should be sent to Human Resources, Room 325, Whitmore Administration Building at least two (2) weeks prior to the date the student is scheduled to start working. Contact the Personnel Officer in your department, Dean’s Office or executive area concerning approvals and procedures. All paperwork must be in the Human Resources Office, Room 325, Whitmore Administration Building on a Pay Friday in order to ensure timely payment for the following pay cycle.
The Rapid Student Hire templates for academic student employment will be available for data entry as of Thursday, August 15, 2013.
On the “Hire Template”, the default effective dates for academic appointments are Sunday, August 25, 2013 through Saturday, May 10, 2014. When you insert a new row (+), please be attentive to the effective dates of the appointment you are entering. Please change the begin date and/or end date of the appointment as necessary based on employment dates of the position.
Outstanding Summer Appointments
The last day to process Rapid Student Hire entry for summer appointments will be Monday, August 12, 2013. After that date, any student appointments that are effective during the summer should be typed on a Student Personnel Action Form (SPAF) and forwarded to Student Payroll, Division of Human Resources, 325 Whitmore Administration Building, Attention Lisa Prouty. All current summer appointments will end on Saturday, August 24, 2013.
New Employee Required Documentation
New student employees who have not previously worked on campus must complete the following forms. All forms should be completed using blue or black ink. Forms filled out in pencil will not be accepted and returned to the department.
- I9 Form along with photocopies of acceptable documents. Please refer to the listing of acceptable documentation on the I-9. (All International students must bring an unexpired foreign passport with an I-551 stamp or attached I-94 and an I-20 (or DS2019) and complete this form at the Employee Service Center, room 325 Whitmore Administration Building.) NOTE: New 3-page I9 form.
- Federal and State Tax Forms. (International students must come to Human Resources, 325 Whitmore Administration Building to have a determination made regarding Tax Treaty status.)
- Conditions of Employment Form.
- Social Security Statement
- Direct Deposit Form: Direct deposit is mandatory for all NEW student employees. If a student is unable to provide direct deposit information, please contact Tim Cendrowski at 545-6106. Due to the mailing of checks for students, existing student employees who currently receive an actual paycheck are strongly encouraged to enroll in direct deposit.
The employing department is responsible for forwarding these required forms to Human Resources within one (1) week after processing the appointment on Rapid Student Hire or stapling them to the student PAF if a ‘hard-copy’ appointment form is being completed and forwarded to Human Resources. When sending the forms to Human Resources, please keep the appropriate forms together, (1) Federal and State tax forms (2) I-9 form along with copies of the necessary documentation, conditions of employment and social security statement and (3) Direct Deposit Form Please do not send any paperwork until the required documentation is complete. Incomplete paperwork will be sent back to the department. Also, please remember that you DO NOT need to send a copy of the SPAF used in processing the rapid student hire.
International students must come to Human Resources, 325 Whitmore Administration Building to fill out the following forms.
- I9 Form - International students should provide an unexpired foreign passport with an I-551 stamp or attached I-94 and an I-20 (or DS2019) at the Employee Service Center, 325 Whitmore Administration Building. NOTE: New 3 page I-9 form
- Federal and State Tax Forms - International students should come to Human Resources, 325 Whitmore Administration Building to have a determination made regarding Tax Treaty status and to fill out the University of Massachusetts Tax Information Sheet.
- Conditions of Employment Form
- Social Security Statement
- Direct Deposit Form: Direct deposit is mandatory for NEW student employees. If a student is unable to provide direct deposit information, please contact Tim Cendrowski at 545-6106. Due to the mailing of checks for students, existing student employees are strongly encouraged to have direct deposit.
Bring completed Student Personnel Action Form to Human Resources (if possible).
Previously Employed Students
Students who have previously worked on campus do not generally need to fill out any forms. New tax forms are needed only if the student wants to adjust their withholding allowances or if they claimed Student Exemption from federal taxes in 2012 and have not yet re-filed for that exemption in 2013. International students, who are non-resident aliens, should refer to INS publication 519 (U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens) to determine tax status eligibility. All tax exemption changes should be completed at the Employee Service Center, 325 Whitmore Administration Building. Students should also make Human Resources aware of any change in address or direct deposit information. When you close a bank account, please notify the Payroll Department first so that we may inactive your direct deposit.
Student Payroll Transaction Information
- Pay Rate Increases/Decreases – Please submit a student PAF for all pay rate increases/decreases with appropriate effective date and all required information completed on the PAF. If you are increasing the hourly rate to over $13.00 per hour, please attach a job description and send to the Student Employment Office, 243 Whitmore Administration Building. The Student Employment Office will review the job description and if approved forward the PAF to Human Resources for processing.
- Funding Changes Involving Work Study Funds – Please submit a student PAF with appropriate effective date and all required information to the Student Employment Office. This includes transactions switching students from Non Work Study to Work Study or vice-versa. The Student Employment Office will process the financial aid information for the individual and forward to Human Resources for processing.
- Funding Changes for Non-Work Study Appointments – Please submit student PAF with appropriate effective date and all required information to Human Resources, Student Payroll, 325 Whitmore Administration Building. If applicable, please include a budget amount for the specified funding source for the current fiscal year. No budget amount will mean there will be no open commitment calculated for that student appointment.
- Please contact the Graduate Assistantship Office in Goodell, Room 517 to obtain the Graduate Student hourly appointment form.
- Download the Student Personnel Action Form.
- The Rapid Student Hire template for summer student appointments will no longer be available as of Monday, August 12, 2013. If you need to process a summer appointment for a student, please submit a PAF to Human Resources – Student Payroll, 325 Whitmore Administration Building.
- All academic work-study and academic non-work study appointments must end as of Saturday, May 10, 2014.
- The minimum hourly wage is $8.00 per hour.
Paycheck Distribution Update:
Beginning with the paycheck issued on 8/16/13, the University will mail paychecks directly to students using their mailing/local address in the HR Direct Payroll system.
To ensure proper delivery, students can take the following steps:
- If students are paid by check, consider using direct deposit. A direct deposit arrangement will allow a student’s net pay to be deposited into one or more bank accounts of their choice. Funds are available on Friday morning and sometimes even earlier. A pay advice (available electronically) detailing gross pay and deductions will continue to be generated. Students can enroll in direct deposit through HR Direct Self-Service or by completing the direct deposit request form at the HR Employee Service Center, room 325 Whitmore.
Please remember to include the following information when submitting a student PAF:
- PeopleSoft Employee Identification Number (Emplid and Rcd#)
- Social Security Number (only for NEW student employees)
- Begin and End Date
- Department Information (Dept Name and HR Deptid). Please note the HR Dept ID format is A####00. Do not use the Finance Dept ID associated to the HR Combo Code
- Appointment Type
- HR Combo Code
- Hourly Rate
- Mail Drop ID (Check Distribution Code). Please note the mail drop id is 8 characters
- Appropriate Signatures (Dept. Head, Appointing Authority, PI)
- Contact Information of person preparing the form (Name, E-mail, Phone)
If you are submitting a student work-study PAF, please forward the form to:
Student Employment Services
243 Whitmore Administration Building
Fax (413) 545-1722
The Financial Aid Office will approve the appointment and forward it to Human Resources – Student Payroll, 325 Whitmore Administration Building.
Please keep in mind that it is a Federal regulation to maintain accurate weekly timesheets of all hours performed using work-study awards. Weekly timesheets must be signed by both the student employee and supervisor.
- Questions regarding work-study may be directed to Paula Wetherby at 545-1953, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions regarding student payroll processing may be directed to Lisa Prouty at 545-0244, email@example.com.
- Questions regarding student time reporting may be directed to Kathie McInerney at 545-0391, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising Student Jobs
Please advise staff in your department if they need to advertise for student help they can go to the Student Employment website and fill out the job template to post a vacant position. All advertisements must include an hourly pay rate. Please be aware that all fields of the template must be completed before submitting your request. Currently minimum wage is $8.00. Please note that you may also cancel your advertisement once the position has been filled online at: www.umass.edu/umfa/seo/employers/canceljob/.
If you have any other questions regarding job advertisements, please contact Debra Caldwell from the Student Employment Office at 413-545-3798.