Application due date: Friday, March 7, 2014 at 12:00 NOON
Maximum amount: $4,000
Symposium and Workshop Grants offer funding for small-scale events to be held at UMass Amherst during the 2014-15 academic year. To be eligible to apply for an HFA Symposium/Workshop Grant, applicants are required to secure funding from other sources. Grants of up to $4,000 will be made based on a 1 to 2 match, that is to say, a proposal that has a commitment in hand or has otherwise secured $2,000 in funding, would be eligible for up to $4,000 in support from HFA.
Applications must include:
• A completed cover sheet.
• A description of the event for which support is requested (no more than 2 pages) that includes the format, participants, estimated number of attendees, import or benefit to faculty/department/college, proposed date(s), etc.
• An explanation of the conference or workshop’s role in the applicant’s professional development and how it fits into the department’s overall research strengths.
• Supporting documents such as flyers, programs, the vitae of participating speakers, and any other appropriate materials.
• An event budget listing expenses, and the sources and amounts of other support.
• A statement of commitment from the source(s) of additional funding or a copy of an award letter indicating the amount of support to be provided and any limitations on how it may be used.
All full-time faculty members are eligible to apply.
Criteria for Evaluation
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following ranked criteria and awarded on a competitive basis:
• the importance of the symposium/workshop to the applicant’s larger research agenda/creative plan and to the department’s research strengths;
• the likelihood that the substance of the symposium/workshop will engage the department, its students, and others in the field;
• the likelihood that the symposium/workshop will take place as planned in AY 15.
Please direct your questions to Rex Wallace, Associate Dean for Research and Academic Personnel (5-3408) or to Lynne Latham (5-0378). Your cover sheet and application should be submitted via e-mail to Lynne Latham (email@example.com) with a copy to the Associate Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org).