Application due date: Friday, March 2, 2018 at 12:00 noon
Maximum amount: $5,000
Conference Grants are available to provide partial support for conferences and colloquia sponsored by HFA faculty members and departments and held on the UMass Amherst campus during the 2018-19 academic year.
Awards up to $5,000 will be made based on a 1 to 2 match, i.e., a proposal that has a commitment in hand or has otherwise secured $1,500 in funding, would be eligible for up to $3,000 toward expenses from HFA.
All full-time faculty members may apply.
Complete the online application below, which requires you to upload a single pdf document containing:
- An event narrative that includes: a.) a description of the conference, its format, confirmed and proposed speakers, target audience, estimated number of attendees, etc., b.) a description of the conference’s role in the applicant’s professional development, how it fits into the department’s overall research program and strengths, and its import or benefit to faculty members, HFA departments, and the college.
- A detailed budget identifying the amount and sources of prospective revenue, income, and other support and listing all known and anticipated expenses.
- A statement of commitment or an award letter from each source of additional funding indicating the amount of support to be provided and any limitations on how it may be used.
- Any related conference documents such as announcements, flyers, programs, publicity, etc.
Items that do not lend themselves to being scanned may be delivered or sent via campus mail to: Lynne Latham, Dean's Office, South College.
Criteria for Evaluation
Proposals will be evaluated by the HFA Research Council according to the following ranked criteria and will be awarded on a competitive basis:
- the importance of the conference to the applicant’s larger research agenda/ creative plan and to the department’s research strengths;
- the likelihood that the substance of the conference will engage the department, its students, and other scholars in the field;
- and the likelihood that the conference will take place in AY 2018-19.
If you have any questions, please contact Lynne Latham via e-mail or at 413-545-0378.