Friday, May 13, 2011
UMass Amherst Class of 2011 Commencement
Saturday, May 14, 2011
The College of Humanities & Fine Arts
Senior Recognition Ceremony
To the family of a UMass senior:
On behalf of the College of Humanities & Fine Arts at UMass Amherst, I’d like to congratulate you and your soon-to-be graduate! I would also like to take the opportunity to share details about commencement weekend in May.
First of all: the University Commencement Ceremony will take place on Friday, May 13th at 5:00 p.m. at Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium. This is the official graduation ceremony at which degrees are conferred, and will feature music, speakers, and plenty of pomp & circumstance. All interested parties may attend; no advance registration or tickets are required.
But that’s only the beginning. The very next day, our College Senior Recognition Ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m. in the Recreation Center (located on 161 Commonwealth Avenue, across from the Mullins Center). We will recognize graduating seniors in a special way and individually congratulate them for their accomplishments. The arts will be celebrated and professional photographers will photograph the ceremony and each graduate.
The College event does not replace the University Commencement – all students and families are encouraged to attend both. Tickets are not required for either event, but please let us know as soon as possible if anyone in your family needs special accommodations, such as wheelchair seating, ASL, etc.
For detailed information about the University Commencement weekend, visit http://umass.edu/commencement.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call 413-577-4423 or email email@example.com.
Julie C. Hayes
Dean, College of Humanities & Fine Arts
Traffic on and around campus will be extremely heavy, so guests are strongly advised to arrive on campus on both days as early as possible. Lot 39 will be reserved for handicapped parking for our ceremony on the 14th.
Friday, May 13:
• 4:00 p.m.: Degree candidates arrive at Yellow Lot 11, north of the Stadium, carrying carrying their caps & gowns. Families should head to McGuirk to be seated.
• 4:15 p.m.: Degree candidates assemble by school or college, don their robes, and receive processional instructions from Marshals.
• 5:00 p.m.: University Commencement Ceremony begins at McGuirk Stadium.
Saturday, May 14:
• 11:30 a.m.: College of Humanities and Fine Arts students wear their caps and gowns to the Recreation Center to assemble with departments while parents are seated.
• 12:30 p.m.: Senior Recognition Ceremony begins.
Below are some downloadable maps of bus shuttle routes, exit routes, and others:
Afro-American Studies: Friday, May 13th, 1-3pm at the Du Bois Reading Room on the 2nd floor of New Africa House. Refreshments will be served.
Art: Friday, May 13th. Reception in Herter Gallery beginning at 12:00 noon, Department Awards Ceremony begins at 1:00 pm in Herter Hall 225.
Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies: Thursday, May 12th.
• Check the UMass Commencement website for directions, schedule, lodging, parking information, etc.: http://umass.edu/commencement.
• Need special arrangements? Questions? Contact us: 413-577-4423 or firstname.lastname@example.org.