As the creative heart of UMass Amherst, the College of Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA) brings together scholars and artists from a wide range of disciplines into one faculty passionate about students’ education and futures. The college offers exceptional opportunities for students to broaden their perspectives, apply their knowledge to the design and execution of their work, refine their skills, and develop professional connections.
We advance the University’s mission to provide the highest-quality education by encouraging our faculty and students to pursue a broad range of projects of educational value and artistic merit. Superior faculty and talented students are the engine of a project-based curriculum that encourages campus and community engagement. As we educate dynamic, innovative problem-solvers, we ensure their contributions to the economic and cultural vitality of the Commonwealth and the nation.
Points of Pride
· More than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students enroll in the College each academic year.
· All University undergraduates take HFA courses to fulfill their curriculum requirements while learning valuable interdisciplinary skills to apply in their chosen disciplines.
· The College offers 36 majors, 25 minors, and 19 postgraduate degrees.
· The College employs 379 faculty and has a budget of over $32 million.
· The College is home to nationally recognized undergrad and graduate programs, including Linguistics, Philosophy, and the MFA program
· Our alumni include ambassadors, screenwriters, feature film actors, poet laureates, authors, politicians, lawyers, scholars, artists, and entrepreneurs who remain committed to the University and students’education.
· HFA has over a dozen community outreach programs and offers hundreds of lectures, symposiums, workshops, and other opportunities for community involvement each year.