GrantSearch for Grad Students (GSGS) helps graduate students at UMass Amherst seek external (that is, not UMass-sponsored) support for their research. We show graduate students how to identify and apply for fellowships and grants from sources outside the university. We also support searches for funding for a variety of other scholarly activities including overseas studies, dissertation writing, and professional training.
Our services include:
- Assisting students who are (or will be) engaged in a focused research project that is leading to thesis or dissertation writing
- Helping students to access searchable databases that contain information about fellowship opportunities
- Posting prominent fellowship opportunities and deadline alerts on our blog, Facebook page, and electronic newsletters (available in PDF format for download early in each semester)
- Maintaining other blog and Facebook features such as writing tips, helpful links to major funders and other sites, PDFs of helpful handouts and lectures, and announcements of upcoming GSGS-sponsored events. To stay current with new opportunities, online features, and events, "like" the Facebook page or subscribe to the blog via RSS feed (see links below)!
- Meeting with students individually to discuss their particular funding searches (by appointment only, scheduled via email .
- Conducting application writing workshops
- Creating department-specific, customized info packs by the request of graduate program directors. GPDs who wish to receive a list of opportunities for their field appropriate for use in methods classes or departmental events should email GSGS at least two weeks in advance of the date on which they will need them. For the most useful reply to your request, include some of your students' research topics.
- The GrantSearch blog may be accessed at http://blogs.umass.edu/gsgs
- The GSGS Facebook page may be accessed at http://www.facebook.com/grantsearchumass
Available time slots are posted at the beginning of each semester. Appointments last approximately 45 minutes, and are reserved on a first-come, first served basis. Appointments will be held at 528A Goodell unless otherwise specified. Note that consultations are for individual students only.
What if you’re seeking general financial support for your graduate education that is not directly related to a specific project? As this type of request goes beyond GSGS’s range of services, we suggest that you consult the following:
- For information on assistantships: first, your department; second, the jobs list on the In some cases, you may be able to arrange for an externship. Read about externships here. (International students please note: consult the International Programs Office regarding regulations and special permits required for non-U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to set up externships.)
- For information on student loans: contact the financial aid office.
- For information on employment: check the listings on the student employment page
About GSGS Consultations: our hours are subject to change without notice. We do our best to accommodate as many students as possible; however, sometimes appointments must be rescheduled. If we need to change an appointment we will contact you by email as early as possible. If you must reschedule an appointment, email GSGS as soon as you can so that we can give the time to another student.
If your schedule prevents you from making an appointment during one of the time slots above, we can work with you via email. Please email GSGS here. Use your UMass Amherst email when contacting GSGS, as we cannot work with individuals who are not matriculated UMass grad students.
GrantSearch for Grad Students
528A Goodell Building
140 Hicks Way
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003-9333