Skip to main content

Human Resources Information & Orientation

Becoming a Graduate Student Employee for the first time?

New Graduate Employee Orientations

The purpose of the orientation is to assist students in filling out required personnel/payroll forms, and provide them with information about benefits, insurance enrollment, direct payroll deposit, etc. In addition, they will receive University policies, copies of certain state/federal regulations, and be introduced to available campus services and facilities. Sessions generally last about one (1) hour, and are held at the beginning of each semester.

At the orientation students can complete the paperwork necessary for the University to pay them as employees (with the exception of the Assistantship Form - GFAF). Graduate students will be helped with all mandatory federal, state, and required campus forms such I-9's, W-2's, the Participation Agreement and the Union Dues Deduction form. Assistantship Forms (GFAF) are completed, as usual, in the department and should, in most cases, be submitted to the Assistantship Office prior to the new student employee attending the orientation. Additionally, students will get a comprehensive explanation of their health and dental insurance plans and immunization requirements. Attending an orientation is required and the best and most efficient way for completing all of these critical requirements.

The forms that new graduate student employees must complete and submit at the orientation are available here. Please encourage new graduate student employees to access and complete these forms in advance of the orientation.

Students must provide Proof of Identity & Eligibility to Work (I-9) documentation. Employees cannot be paid by the University until they've submitted appropriate documents and had the I-9 form completed and approved by Human Resources. In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Action of 1986, the University must complete and retain an I-9 form for every person hired and paid on the University payroll. The federal law requires that you provide us with certain documents at the time of hire that will establish your identity and employment eligibility. Photocopies taken of these documents will be used to complete the I-9 form and are kept in your official personnel file. For a list of Acceptable Documents for the I-9 Form click here. 

New INTERNATIONAL graduate student employees who are on campus the last two weeks of August are required to attend one of the scheduled orientations. In collaboration with IPO, new international graduate student employees who are unable to attend one of the scheduled orientations will be able to fill out HR’s required paperwork at IPO’s orientation for all new international students. Departments: Please know when your new international students are arriving on campus and inform them of the mandatory orientations that are relevant to their arrival date. Be sure to advise them regarding the documents they must bring to the meeting:

  • Visa
  • Unexpired passport with I-94 card
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Social Security card (if they have one)
  • List of dates of entry to & exit from the US
  • Voided check if direct deposit of pay into a checking account is desired

New DOMESTIC (U.S. Citizen and Resident) graduate student employees are required to attend one of the scheduled orientations. Departments with new domestic graduate student employees for whom it would be a hardship to attend one of the scheduled orientations must contact the Graduate School (545-5294) in order to make alternate arrangements. An example of a hardship is a new graduate student employee flying to campus from his/her home which is out-of-state and will only arrive on campus when the residence halls open. Departments: Please know which of the above listed orientations your new domestic graduate student employee will attend or if an alternative orientation needs to be scheduled. Be sure to advise them regarding the documents they must bring to the meeting:

  • U.S. Passport, drivers license or University picture ID
  • Social Security card or U.S. birth certificate
  • Voided check if direct deposit of pay into a checking account is desired