UMass Amherst Home
 [Home]  [Programs and Courses]  [Degree Requirements]  [Application Procedures]  [Financing Your Degree]  [Site Index]  [Apply Now]
Program Listings:  [Program Listing: A-D]  [Program Listings: E-L]  [Program Listings: M-Z]  [Program Listings: Show All]


On-Campus Housing

The university provides 12-month limited housing for graduate students in one traditional residence hall. Facilities include lounges and study areas, one with a TV and one with a pool table, a kitchen area, and laundry and vending facilities. Graduate students wishing to live on campus should contact the Housing Assignment Office, Room 235, Whitmore Administration Building, as early as possible to ensure space will be available. Call (413) 545-2100 for an application or download one from the Housing and Residence Life website,

The terms of occupancy are as follows:

1. Space will be assigned on a full semester basis only.

2. Graduate students will be assigned to Cashin Hall on a space-available basis.

3. Both single and double occupancy rooms are available. Graduate students requesting double occupancy will have a roommate.

4. Room rent is commensurate with the charge for nine-month residence halls. All graduate students have the option of remaining during the summer vacation periods at an additional monthly charge. Fees are set prior to the beginning of each semester, and the university reserves the right to alter fees whenever necessary.

5. Applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable $100 prepayment in U.S. currency (this amount is subject to change). If space is not available, the $100 prepayment will be returned promptly.

6. Graduate students are assigned by the Housing Assignment Office. Once an assignment is made, students will be notified. Graduate students must sign a Residence Hall Contract.

7. Policies and regulations outlined in the Residence Hall Manual apply to all graduate students. Residence hall rules and regulations require that occupants assume responsibility for damage in or to their rooms. The university is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property unless there is negligence or wrongdoing on the part of the university. Students are well advised to secure a rider to existing home owners’ policies or to purchase a renter’s insurance policy in anticipation of possible problems.

8. Hot plates and other such equipment used in preparing hot food are strictly prohibited in student rooms. A kitchen is available for cooking snacks or meals.

Family Housing
The university owns and operates a limited number of apartments located adjacent to campus. All students who meet established eligibility criteria may apply for an apartment, but should not plan on immediate occupancy because of the extensive waiting list. There are also handicapped-accessible apartments for disabled individuals. For more information, contact the Family Housing Office, Wysocki House, tel. (413) 545-3115; email:

Off-Campus Housing
Housing and Residence Life offers an online resource of area rental listings for students. The online resource also provides students the ability to create a renter profile. Area landlords and students search these profiles to contact prospective tenants and roommates. For additional information, contact the Housing Assignment Office, 235 Whitmore Administration Building, tel. (413) 545-2100, or visit the website