- Myth Manhattan. The fascination of a city. In: Sigrid Bauschinger, Horst Denkler , Wilfried Malsch (ed.): America in German literature. New World - North America - USA. Reclam, Stuttgart 1975
- Else Lasker student. Her work and her time (= poetry and science, 7). Stiehm, Heidelberg 1980
- The trumpet of the reform. German literature in the New England of the 19th century. Francke, Bern et al. 1989
- as editor: "I have something to say". Annette Kolb, 1870-1967. Exhibition of the Munich City Library. Munich, Diederichs 1993
- The Berlin Moderns. Else Lasker-Schüler and Café Culture. In: Emily D. Bilski (ed.): Berlin Metropolis. Jews and the New Culture, 1885-1918. University of California Press, Berkeley CA et al. 1999
- as editor: The naughty muse. Literary and political cabaret from 1901 to 1999. = The Impudent Muse. Francke, Tübingen et al. 2000
- as editor with Paul Michael Lützeler : Margarita Pazi: Dust and Stars. Essays on German-Jewish literature. Wallstein, Göttingen 2001
- Else Lasker student. Biography. Wallstein, Göttingen 2004, ISBN 3-89244-440-4 (several issues).
- as editor: Else Lasker-Schüler: Works and Letters. Critical edition. Volume 8: Letters. 1925-1933. Jewish publishing house, Frankfurt / Main 2005
- as editor: Rainer Maria Rilke - Eva Cassirer. Correspondence. Wallstein, Göttingen 2008
- The Cassirers. Entrepreneurs, art dealers, philosophers. Biography of a family. CH Beck, Munich 2015
- Co-editor of the Amherster Colloquia on German Literature. Volume 13-19. Francke, Tübingen 1984-1995.