Professor, any rank - Food for Health and Wellness
About University of Massachusetts Amherst:
UMass Amherst is one of the major public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
The Department of Food Science at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant/Associate/Full Professor level and will hold the Fergus Clydesdale Professorship. We are seeking outstanding candidates with expertise in any field of Food for Health & Wellness, who are devoted to establish a well-recognized food-based research program in areas such as:
- Relationship between food components, food structure, and human diseases (e.g. diabetes, cardiovascular disease, mental health, cancer and immune function, etc.)
- Impact of foods and their components on sensory perception, satiety, and eating behavior
- Scientific and technological approaches to improve the acceptability and quality of healthy foods
- Beneficial microorganisms and their applications in food/nutrition
- Food biotechnology and biochemistry to improve food/plant production, quality and nutrition.
- Food security and sustainable food production
- Nutrigenomic, metabolomics and proteomics approaches to improve nutrition and quality of food
- Physiological responses to food intake
- Innovative food manufacturing technologies that improve nutritional value, safety and quality of food using a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Food processing modeling and optimization.
- Data science and data integration approaches for food production and sustainability.
- Interplay between food components and gut microbiome and its impact on human health and wellness.
Preference will be given to candidates who would bring expertise to complement current research areas of food science faculty. A successful candidate will be expected to show potential to establish an internationally recognized and extramurally funded research program. Candidates with a strong publication record from predoctoral and postdoctoral training are particularly encouraged to apply. Responsibilities will include developing and teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in food science and candidate's expertise.
Applicants are required to have a Ph.D. in Food Science or related discipline, a strong interest in teaching/advising and strong oral and written communication skills are essential. The Department of Food Science places special emphasis on faculty-student interactions, participation in interdisciplinary activities, teamwork, collaboration, and industrial interactions. We share a fundamental commitment to attract and teach a diverse student body.
The university is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University's goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual's record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic degree and career.
Review of the applications will begin on October 2, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit their curriculum vitae, a statement on their research and teaching philosophy and names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of 3 professional references who can evaluate their professional experience and record, teaching and research abilities directly to HR application link. (https://umass.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=87472)
Questions pertaining to this position can be directed to Lili He (email@example.com).