Family Research Scholars Program 2016-2017
Application deadline: January 29, 2016
Notification: Mid- to late-February 2016
UMass Faculty from all ranks and all departments are eligible. Representation across disciplines is desired. Proposals will be rated based on the suitability and appropriate timing of the proposed project for external funding, relevance to issues affecting families, and intellectual merit and broader significance. Preference is given to investigators from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and College of Natural Sciences.
Please describe the grant application you anticipate preparing in three pages. Your application should describe a well-conceptualized project and indicate your readiness for drafting a large grant proposal immediately when the seminars begin in September 2016.
A. Application Requirements (within the three-page limit):
- A proposed title which communicates the focus of your research
- The research problem and your specific contribution in this area
- The significance of the proposed research project for which you will be seeking funding (demonstrate your preparedness for this program; tell us why this project matters)
- Relevance to family research (families are a basic unit of human and animal life; research crosses academic disciplines and engages many perspectives to fully understand family functioning and its effects on individuals and societies; tell us why your project matters to families)
- Methodology (include the feasibility of this particular methodological approach)
- List the sponsor(s) to whom you anticipate submitting the proposal, its deadlines, and a well-conceptualized rationale for approaching these funders (including links to the announcement, if possible)
- Any external sponsored research support already received (prior funding does not impact your selection for the program)
- Indicate if you will also be applying to any other faculty grant development seminar series for faculty including the Institute for Social Science Research program
B. Additional Required Materials (outside of the three-page limit):
- ► A one-paragraph abstract of the proposal — upload below
- ► Current C.V. — upload below
* If you are not a faculty member of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences or the College of Natural Sciences your application will need to include an agreement signed by the Dean of your college. Contact Dot Morúa-Fernandes at (413) 545-4718 or email via email to request the agreement specific to your college.
- C. Optional Materials (outside of the three-page limit):
You may choose to include references regarding the research project as part of your proposal.
To apply, please fill out online form below. Inquiries and questions may be directed to Wendy Varner at (413) 545-5434 or via email.