Want to Save Money on Health Care Costs?
by By Joseph Kane, Communications Manager - Health New England
Who doesn’t want to save money. But how can I save money on my health care? Aren’t my insurance premium and what I pay for doctor’s visits and prescriptions fixed? While that may be true, as a health care consumer, there is a lot you can do outside of these fixed costs to save money. Most insurers do a lot more than just pay your bills if you get sick. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your health care budget.
Stay Healthy: It’s all about how you treat your body and your mind.
- Eat nutritious foods
- Exercise at least three times a week
- Learn to manage stress
- Use alcohol only in moderation
- Do not use tobacco products or illegal drugs
Heard all of this before? That’s because it works! Saving money on your health starts with you.
Know Your Primary Care Doctor: Get regular physical exams. That way:
- You and your doctor stay informed about your health.
- If a health issue arises, your doctor can catch it early.
- You are less likely to need emergency medical care.
Studies have shown that people who have regular appointments with their PCP use the emergency room less often.
When You Need a Prescription, Request Generic. Generic versions of medications:
- Have the same active ingredients as the brand version. (Sometimes, they are even made by the same drug company.)
- Are just as effective.
- Cost far less.
You don't give up anything in your treatment – and you save money!
Find Out What Other Resources You Plan Offers: Many plans offer discounts for certain services. Plans also may reimburse you for your efforts to stay healthy. For example some plans offer:
- Reimbursement of $150 per year for a fitness club membership or a Weight Watchers® program.
- A Discount Program where members get discounts from some area businesses – for travel, legal advice, and a host of fun activities – just because they’re members.
- Discounts for complementary and alternative medicine – like acupuncture or massage therapy.
Contact your plan to learn more about what they offer.