The Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity
The Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EO&D) is located in 243 Lederle GRC Lowrise, Amherst, Massachusetts, 01003. We are open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm and can be reached at (413) 545-3464 (voice or TTY) or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The EO&D fax number is (413) 545-0802. Any of the information available on the EO&D web site can be made available in large print format by contacting the EO&D Office. The following is a list of some areas of office responsibility which may be helpful in describing the role of this office on campus.
• Administers internal discrimination grievance procedures and conducts investigations relative to affirmative action and equal opportunity complaints.
The University has established a system of grievance procedures to address complaints of alleged discrimination based on race, sex, sexual orientation, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and disability. Grievants are encouraged to resolve complaints informally by working with the relevant parties and administrators. The Ombuds Office and the Dean of Students Office together with the EO&D Office are available to assist in this resolution process. Formal charges of discrimination should be directed to the campus EO&D Office located at 243 Lederle GRC Lowrise, or call 545-3464. The University's Grievance Policy and Procedures are available online and the print version may be obtained by contacting the EO&D Office.
• Administers the University Sexual Harassment Policy and provides advice and counsel to the campus community on all related issues.
The University has a separate Sexual Harassment Grievance Procedure to address complaints of sexual harassment, and provides both informal and formal methods for complaint resolution. Informal attempts may involve consultations at the department level, or mediation through the Ombuds Office, Mediation Project, or other appropriate agency. Complaints involving students as respondents would normally be handled by the Dean of Students Office, under the Code of Student Conduct. Formal charges of sexual harassment should be directed to the EO&D Office. The Sexual Harassment Policy is available online. It may also be obtained by contacting the EO&D Office at 545-3464.
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity assumes responsibility for implementation of this policy, and provides advice, assistance, and training on issues related to sexual harassment. Informational materials, including videotapes, are readily available for use by the campus community from the EO&D Lending Library. In addition, EO&D Office staff are available to conduct workshops on request.
• Conducts outreach to campus personnel to increase and assess effectiveness of efforts in affirmative action and equal opportunity.
• Develops and implements uniform affirmative action and equal opportunity policies and procedures for the entire campus.
• Develops monitoring systems to assess recruitment efforts and the progress of campus programs toward affirmative action goals.
• Establishes record keeping systems to maintain adequate empirical data for monitoring affirmative action and equal opportunity efforts on the Amherst campus.
• Prepares state, federal, and University system mandated reports.
• Provides training programs for academic and non-academic managers regarding the role of affirmative action and equal opportunity on the Amherst campus.
• Produces an annual Annual Affirmative Action Plan and related documents for the Amherst Campus. For print versions of recent documents, please contact the EO&D office. It is also available online.
Return to EO&D Home Page