Careers & Internships
The English major prepares students to write and speak well, to think analytically and critically, and to solve problems quickly, all of which are required and sought after in today's 21st century job market.
Listed below are recurring, for-credit internships that may be of particular interest to English majors. More internship options (paid and unpaid) can be found through CareerConnect.
- Digital Communications Intern, English Department (Photos, Web/Editing, Social Media) - Application period begins Nov 6
- University of Massachusetts Press (Publicity & Marketing Intern) - Apply by Nov 1
- University of Massachusetts Press (Editorial/Production Intern) - Apply by Nov 1
- Administrative Assistant, Juniper Institute summer creative writing conferences. Applications accepted starting in September 2017 (must have workstudy). Contact Betsy Wheeler.
- Digital Communications Intern, Western Massachusetts Writing Project - Apply by Fri, Sept 8
- Digital Communications Intern (Photography), English Department - Apply by Mon, Sept 11
- Digital Communications Intern (Writing/Web), English Department: - Apply by Mon, Sept 11
- Digital Communications Intern (Newsletter), English Department: - Apply by Mon, Sept 11
- University of Massachusetts Press (Editorial/Production Intern)
To help you decide where to direct your skills, we hold workshops, sponsor internships, and run a Careers seminar.
- Careers seminar: The Major and Beyond (Greve, 2 credits, fall and spring semesters)
- Specializations give students options for developing specific skillsets in writing, editing, and digital technology
- The STEP program offers specialized support for students pursuing careers in K-12 teaching (PDF)
- Resume and cover letter tips (PDF)
- Sample resumes (PDF)
- Job interview tips (PDF)
- Walk-in resume review is available at Career Services, Monday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. in 511 Goodell. Call 413-545-2224.
- Individual career advising: contact Caroline Gould, Director of Career Development Services, by calling 413-545-6152.