English as a Second Language
Teaching English as a second language is a career path for many English majors. Certification is not required to teach English as a second language. However, it is strongly recommended as it will make you better prepared and more qualified for those kinds of jobs. There is no undergraduate degree available on campus for teaching ESL, but there are local opportunities to begin gaining important experience through volunteering.
The School of Education does offer a Masters with a focus on bilingual, ESL and multicultural education, as well as a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) and preparation for ESL licensure. For more information, visit the CAGS program website.
Other ESL Certification Programs
- Boston Academy of English
- Boston University ESL Program
- The Boston Language Institute
- Center for New Americans (provides training for volunteers)
- The International Language Institute of Massachusetts
- The Jones Library ESL Center (provides training for volunteers)
- TEFL International