Communication During an Emergency
In the event of an emergency, information affecting the general campus community will be distributed via text messages, e-mail, the UMass Homepage and other campus alerts where appropriate. In addition, social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter will be used to provide information and updates during an emergency.
- Review the Emergency Procedures Guides
- Be familiar with our Evacuation and Shelter-in-Place procedures
- Make your own Emergency Supply Kit
- Please be sure to update your contact information for emergency notification. Your cell phone number will not be used for any other purpose than emergency notification.
- Be sure to develop a Communications Plan for family and friends and let them know your status during an emergency.
Before Class Starts (Faculty)
- Determine what emergency information you will include on your class syllabus such as evacuation routes, assembly location (see below), or resource lists. Suggested text is included at the bottom of this page.
- Sign up for UMass Alerts and/or confirm your existing registered phone number.
- Consider classroom evacuation. Check the building evacuation maps for routes and building assembly area
- Know at least two evacuation routes from each of your classrooms
- Pick a specific assembly area, near the building’s designated area, for each class
- Print hard copies of the class rosters and keep with your class materials so that you will know if all students are present after an evacuation.
Department Level Emergency Planning
Departments and units can prepare for a variety of emergencies by developing a department/unit emergency response plan. A department/unit emergency response plan identifies a department/unit’s specific approach to emergencies and is meant to compliment the overall campus level UMass Emergency Management Plan.
Faculty and Staff Members with Disabilities
If you have a disability, notify Human Resources immediately upon beginning work at UMass or transferring to a new location. If you have not done so before, make sure to do this now. If you need assistance leaving a building during an evacuation; notify a co-worker that you will wait by the nearest stairwell. Do not use an elevator during an evacuation. Also, call UMass Police at 413-545-2121 from your cell phone and let the operator know of your exact location. Stay calm until help arrives.