1. What graduate programs do you offer?

The College of Education has three departments, each one offering a number of master's, doctoral and education specialist concentrations. You can find more information about these concentrations here.

2. After I read the concentration descriptions, how can I contact the faculty if I have additional questions regarding a specific concentration?

The contact information for each faculty concentration can be found here.

3 . What are the general admission requirements?

You need to have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.75, although some programs require a higher GPA.  International students must complete the TOEFL test with a minimum score from one of the following tests:  213 (computerized test), 550 (paper), 6.5 (IELTS) or 80 (IBT).  The Graduate Record Examination is not required, although the School Psychology, Special Education and Research, Educational Measurement and Psychometrics doctoral concentrations strongly recommend it.  A minimum of two letters of recommendation, an in-depth personal statement and an official transcript are also required.  You should also check out the Doctoral Concentrations and Master’s Concentrations you are interested in for additional requirements.

4. When are the application deadlines? Do you have Spring admissions?

January 2nd is the deadline for Fall applications. October 1st is the deadline for Spring applications. Check this link for deadlines and for concentrations that have Spring admission: Application Guidelines & Deadlines

5. How can I receive an application?

You can apply on line by clicking here: Graduate School Admissions Information

6. When will I receive a decision on my application?

Most applicants will be notified by the Graduate School around December 1st for Spring admission, and April 15th for Fall admission.

7. What is the cost per course?

Most courses are three credits, and there is a charge for tuition and fees per credit. Check this link for current information: Tuition / Fees

8. How do I apply for a Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship or Fellowship/Scholarship?

In order to be considered for a graduate assistantship (i.e., teaching, research or project)  you should submit a cover letter and resume with your application, indicating that you want to be considered for one of these positions. If you are accepted into graduate school, you may also want to contact the faculty concentration coordinator to discuss your qualifications. You can also review the graduate assistantships listings in the Beacon, our weekly publication, which is available on our home page at: Publications.

There are a limited number of scholarships and fellowships available from the Graduate School and the School. You should indicate in your personal statement that you wish to be considered for a scholarship or fellowship, as some need faculty endorsement. You can also check out Financial Aid > College of Education Scholarships. If you are interested in applying for a student loan, you can contact the Graduate Financial Aid Office at: 413 577-0555 or grads@finaid.umass.edu.

9. Where can I find a description of your course offerings?

Our courses are described and listed for the current semester. Graduate level courses begin at the 500 level.

10. How long does the master's program take? How about the doctoral program?

The master's program in the College of Education requires a minimum of 33 credits, but some concentrations require 36 - 48 credits. A 33 credit master's program could be completed within 3 semesters on a full-time basis.

The doctoral concentrations require a minimum of 36 course credits however, most concentrations require more course credits and an additional 18 dissertation credits while you are working on your proposal and dissertation. Four years is the minimum amount of time usually needed to complete the doctorate, while most students average between 6-8 years. 

11. Can I take a course before I'm officially accepted as a graduate student and transfer it into a graduate program?

You can transfer in up to 6 credits (2 courses) taken at UMASS Amherst before you begin a master's program. You need to register as a non-degree student (application available from the Graduate Admissions Office or 413 545 0721). Contact the Concentration Coordinator in your proposed graduate concentration to find out which courses are applicable. Contact our Graduate Program Office for more specific information regarding additional requirements for transfers of credit ktyler@educ.umass.edu.

12. Do I need to have a bachelor's degree in education to enter graduate school?

Some of our graduate concentrations require a bachelor's degree in education, while others do not. Check under Concentrations in the section entitled Desired Master's (or Doctoral) Student Characteristics.

13. Where can I find the policies and procedures related to the Graduate Assistantships?

The GA Policies and Procedures can be found under the Financial Aid section on the website.