Students intending to complete the minor in Economics must receive final grades for all required courses before they can declare the minor. Declaring the secondary major with the intent of completing the minor does NOT guarantee a seat in any Economics course. See the Economics Admissions website for more information.
UMass Amherst does not allow students to declare a minor until all requirements have been completed. After receiving a grade for the final course required for the minor, students should email the appropriate advisor listed below to declare the minor and drop the major. The minor will be awarded only after final grades are posted for that semester and an advisor has verified that the student has completed all requirements.
Students with last names A-K email Leah Dodson
Students with last names L-Z email Lori Sadler
1. ECON 103 – Intro to Microeconomics *or* RES-ECON 102 – Intro to Resource Economics
2. ECON 104 – Intro to Macroeconomics
3. One of the following courses:
MATH 127 – Calculus for the Life and Social Sciences I
MATH 131 – Calculus I
4. One of the following courses:
MATH 128 – Calculus for the Life and Social Sciences II
MATH 132 – Calculus II
RES-ECON 212 – Intro to Stats/Social Science
STATISTC 240 – Intro to Statistics
STATISTC 501 – Meth Applied Stats
STATISTC 515 – Statistics I
5. One of the following courses:
ECON 203 – Intermediate Microeconomics or RES-ECON 202 – Price Theory
ECON 204 – Intermediate Macroeconomics
6. Two additional ECON courses, 3 credits each, numbered 200 or higher.
- RES-ECON courses do not fulfill this requirement
- If RES-ECON 202 is taken to count toward the Economics minor, then ECON 203 cannot also count
- The following courses do not fulfill Economics minor requirements: Independent Study (ECON 396, 496, 499Y, 499T or 596), Practicum (ECON 298, 398, 498, 598), ECON 365 (formerly 397W) – Writing in Economics
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 must be earned in courses applied to Economics minor requirements
- No course required for the Economics minor may be taken Pass/Fail.
- A minimum of two of the five required ECON courses must be taken in the Department of Economics at UMass Amherst.