The campus climate ambassadors seek to incorporate the many voices that make up the UMass fabric in a conversation around campus climate. Campus climate ambassadors will facilitate or co-facilitate small peer group meetings across campus to support unit-level efforts to develop local goals to move us toward our aspirational climate. The climate conversations will focus on how all of us contribute to UMass Amherst’s educational mission, identify the climate related challenges to our full engagement, and brainstorm possibilities for change at the unit level (executive area/school/college) as well as the broader campus.
Eligibility, Timeline, and Time Commitment
- All students, staff, and faculty are eligible to be nominated or to apply by Feb. 15, 2018.
- Candidates will be notified by Feb. 23, 2018.
- 30 hours total: Three hours of initial training (early March); 25 flexible facilitation hours (by May 1); and two hours of recap (May).
All ambassadors will receive a personalized UMass jacket, attend a luncheon with Chancellor Kumble R. Subbaswamy, and choose from a variety of sporting events to attend as the Chancellor’s guest in the 2018-19 academic year.
The application, available below, is an opportunity to share why you are interested in being a campus climate ambassador. As part of the application, you'll be asked to answer the following questions.
- What strengths do you bring to the campus climate ambassador role?
- Describe how you approach conversations with people across different viewpoints.
- How do you see yourself as a part of the solution to improve the campus climate?
- What are you hoping to gain from this experience?
Training in facilitation will be provided so prior experience is not necessary. We are most interested in building a core team of students, staff, and faculty who are interested in engaging their peers in purposeful conversation about where we are and how to get to where we want to be.