Disability Services at UMass Amherst

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the University's Disability Policy?

A: The University is committed to providing reasonable and appropriate accommodations to otherwise qualified individuals with documented disabilities. The provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 maintain that no qualified individual with a disability shall, solely on the basis of their disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity in higher education.

Q: What is an Accommodation?

A: An accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, job, activity or facility that enables a student or employee with a qualifying disability to participate equally. For example, the location of a course may be changed if the assigned room is inaccessible to a student with a mobility challenge. Access to specific accommodations is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Q: How Do I Request Services?

A: In order for you to be eligible to receive academic or workplace accommodations, you need to be recognized by the University as a person with a qualifying disability. You will need to complete an intake form and submit it with accompanying diagnostic materials, to Disability Services. These registration materials will be used to determine your eligibility and you will be informed of your status in writing.

Q: What is a Consumer Manager?

A: When you register with Disability Services, you will be assigned a Consumer Manager (CM), a full-time professional staff member who works closely with people with recognized disabilities to help meet their needs for academic or workplace accommodations. CMs also provide information and support to clients' instructors and supervisors and promote disability awareness and rights across campus.