Withdrawing from UMass

Withdrawing During a Semester

If a student determines it is in their personal, academic, or financial best interest to withdraw from the University between the first day of classes and the last day of finals they must complete a Withdrawal Form.  

There are five types of Mid-Semester University Withdrawals: Personal, Health, Academic, Financial and Military/Active Duty.

Once a student is withdrawn from the University (regardless of the type of withdrawal) they must apply for re-enrollment to the University.  Click here for deadlines and specific details.

Withdrawing After a Semester has Ended

If a student is withdrawing from the University AFTER the current semester ends, but before the first day of classes for the following semester, complete an End of Semester Withdrawal via SPIRE.

Withdrawing from a Course

If a student is withdrawing from a single course, it is important to be aware of the Academic Calendar (http://www.umass.edu/registrar/calendars/academic-calendar).

The last day to complete a “No Record Drop” is the last day of the add/drop period. A student can submit a no record drop via SPIRE.

The “Mid-Semester Date” is the last opportunity to drop a course with a “W."  Course withdrawal forms can be obtained at the Office of the Registrar (213 Whitmore).

After the “Mid-Semester Date” a student's only option is to petition their respective Academic Dean (of the primary major) for a Late Course Withdrawal.  In order to withdraw, a student will have to prove extenuating circumstances and  provide documentation.  There is no guarantee a late petition will be granted. Therefore, it is better to withdraw by the “Mid-Semester Date.”


Re-enrollment to the University

All students planning to return to the university after withdrawal must submit a re-enrollment application in SPIRE. Please note: a nonrefundable $60.00 re-enrollment application fee will be charged to your student account. Be sure to check the application date to ensure "on time course registration" as these deadlines are final.

For more information about re-enrollment, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 413-545-0555 or regtrans@registrar.umass.edu.