The University of Massachusetts Amherst shall be smoke-free in all public and individual work areas.
The following areas shall be smoke-free:
- All classrooms, stairwells, rest rooms, public areas, food service areas, food preparation areas, waiting rooms, visitor reception areas, lobbies, entrance ways and auditoriums or similar large congregating areas.
- All work sites, including individual faculty and administrative offices.
- All rooms in which business meetings are regularly conducted, or in which a business meeting is in progress.
- University Health Services, which is entirely smoke-free as of June 1, 1992, consistent with the appropriate accreditation standards for health-care facilities.
- State vehicles in which any occupant is a non-smoker.
Smoking is allowed only in:
- Designated guest rooms of the Campus Center hotel.
- Certain university-owned or leased individual rooms and apartments, in accordance with policy established by Housing and Residence Life.
The Chancellor, through the Deputy Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, Deans, Directors and Department Heads, is responsible for compliance with this policy. The Division of Human Resources is available to assist Department Heads in addressing related personnel issues. The Division of Environmental Health and Safety may be contact-ed for consultation regarding the interpretation and implementation of the policy.
The University is committed to resolving all issues of non-compliance. Individuals do have the right, as provided by state law, to file a written complaint with the responsible Director or Department Head. The Director or Department Head has fifteen days to respond in writing to the complainant, including a statement about how the problem will be resolved. The Director or Department Head shall file a copy of both the complaint and the response with the Division of Human Resources of the University and with the Office of Public Health, 150 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02111.
(Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 270, Section 21 & 22, as amended 1988).