Dean's Certification /Clearance is verification that you, as an UMass student, have / have not violated any University policies or been subject to any disciplinary actions or proceedings. Dean’s Certification is usually required by graduate and professional schools, state bar associations, government agencies, or independent agencies when applying for admission or employment. Most of these institutions will provide you with a form for you to fill out and the Dean of Students office to complete. Our office will fill out the form and attach our own letter of clearance and mail it directly to the institution.
• Dean's Certifications may be requested in-person, by mail (227 Whitmore Administration Building 181 Presidents Drive, Amherst MA 01003), fax (413.545.9704).
• Fill out a Clearance Request Form and send it to the Dean of Students Office along with forms provided by the institution (s).
• If the institution (s) did not provide you with a form, please fill out the Dean’s Certification Request form and include the address to where the letter should be sent.
• Fill out an Official College Transfer Form Request and send it to the Undergraduate Registrar’s Office (209 Whitmore)
• Once the Registrar’s has sent out the official transcript, the Official College Transfer Form Request along with the Common Application will be sent to the Dean of Students Office (227 Whitmore). The completed clearance will be mailed to the schools listed (5-7 business days)
Copy of Conduct History
• Fill out a Clearance Request Form and send it to the Dean of Students Office
• You can pick up the copy of your history (24 hours) or have it mail to you (5-7 business days).
For background checks, if you are with a government agency or if you are a private contractor:
• Fill out a Private Investigator Clearance Request form and leave your paperwork/release forms with Dean of Students office along with your business card.
• You can select to pick up the completed paperwork (48 bussiness hours) or have it mail to you (5-7 business days).