JUST OFF THE PRESSES:
• The current Newsletter dated February 2015 is now available. It includes registration info on the April Pesticide Safety Training.
• Anne Averill is hosting and speaking at:
UMass Extension Symposium: Pollinator Health for Agriculture and Landscapes
Event date/time: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 8:45am to 4:00pm
Place: Campus Center Auditorium, UMass Amherst
A full day program for all sectors of the agriculture and landscape communities, including agricultural producers and grounds management professionals. University and national experts on pollinating insects, protection of pollinators, and pesticides will share the latest scientific research on factors affecting the health of honeybees and other pollinators, best practices for sustaining populations, and minimizing negative impacts with responsible production and land management strategies.
Registration Cost: $65 per person, if two or more from same business, then $40/person. Online registrations include a nominal processing fee.
4 pesticide recertification contact hours have been approved in all categories, valid for licenses in all New England states.
• During the past year, Carolyn DeMoranville worked with a group of cranberry nutrition scientists, led by John Hart, now retired from Oregon State University, to revise and expand the nutrient management guide for Oregon cranberries. This is a great resource, with illustrations, about cranberry growth and yield in addition to the nutrient information. While the nutrient recommendations are for Oregon, much of the information will be valuable to MA growers. The 52 page guide can be downloaded for free from Oregon State at this web address:
• We welcome Richard Leibe to our staff as the Farm and Grounds Manager.
• The current Newsletter dated December 10th is now available. It includes info on the annual Crop Summit.
• The January 2015 Weather is now available. December 2014 weather is available on a separate page that can be accessed through the current weather page.
• Pesticide Safety Training: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at the Wareham Elks. Please click here for registration info.
• Don't forget, University policy states that you must renew your subscription EACH YEAR. Sign up here.
• If you click on a hyperlink from our website and are taken to a UMass "page not found" page, please try to refresh your browser first. If you continue to receive the error, please let us know.
• The publication "Pollination and Conserving Bee Habitat" is now available for free online. Please click here to download it from our fact sheet page.
• New Fact sheet: Reducing Costs in Cranberry Management is available for download from our Publications list.
• Prices have been slashed on 100th items: t-shirts and polo shirts. Stop in to see what we have!
• A Cranberry Health Research Center was established at UMass Dartmouth. This endeavor is funded by the UMass President's Office Science and Technology Initiative. Learn more about the Center at their website: Click Here
• There are now three filmclips on YouTube about flame cultivators.
• Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) Food Safety Manual now online by clicking here.
• In 2010, the Cranberry Station celebrated its 100th anniversary. Donations to the endowment are still being accepted.