UMASS AMHERST campus planning
Be our friend on facebookFollow us on twitter

   space and asset

a culture
of planning.



Official UMass
Space Allocation Policy


space survey
(log-in required)



Space and Asset Management

Space and Asset Management keeps accurate floor plans of over ten million square feet of campus space and the accounting of each room's use.  We find space to meet changing needs on campus.  Periodic space audits and space requests update the space use accounts that assist with campus space needs planning. 

UMass Amherst Space Request Process

Start with a Space Request! It notifies that you need more or different space, or that you need help estimating what your space needs are.  Solutions may be simple or complex.

When should I make a space request?

  • Almost always!
  • When room uses will change, when renovation work needs to be done.
  • When new hires need an office or a lab.
  • When functions needed don't match the space available.

How do I make a space request?

Complete and submit this small form.  A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you enter, and a printable page will be generated for your records.

Note: all fields are required, and JavaScript must be allowed/enabled in your browser.

Space Request Form

What are the next steps?

  • Campus Planning (CP) - Space and Asset Management will contact you within a week of your request to get more information, such as numbers of people who need space, what activities you support, where are you located now, etc.  In-depth follow-up may be needed and will be scheduled, if necessary.
  • A program write up of quantity and types of space needed will be provided for your review to confirm that your space needs are understood.
  • As there are many on-going requests for space, it will be communicated to you what the time frame should be to resolve your request, and if funding is necessary to meet the request.

Who makes space allocation decisions?

  • CP - Space and Asset Management performs the review of needs, generates alternatives and considers impacts, and makes recommendations to Department Heads, Deans or the Capital Asset Board (CAB) comprised of the Vice Chancellors and the Provost, as appropriate.
  • The CAB approves the allocation of space.

When my request is approved, what then?

You can initiate a project with departmental funds, and if it requires design and construction, a project can be initiated and assigned to Physical Plant, Alterations, Planning, Space, Design Services, or Construction.

If you have any questions, please contact the Associate Director for Space and Asset Management, Pamela Rooney, at or 577-0472.

UMass Amherst