preliminary planning principles
Officially established before 1944 and expanded after 1965, the Arboretum is coincident with most of the campus and includes significant tree and shrub specimens. Some of the oldest trees were collected in the 1860s by the institution's first president, William S. Clark. A tree survey is in progress to document all specimens of interest. Currently, the Arboretum lacks adequate documentation and interpretation. The Arboretum has great potential as an educational, research, and recreational resource and should be considered as an integral part of the campus landscape.
<<back | next>>