- Valid Purchase Order Numbers
- Reimbursable Expenses
- Mail Invoices to Accounts Payable (AP)
- Email Invoices
- What to include on the Invoice
- A/P Only Pays Current Charges and Requires Original Invoices
- Late Fees
- Taxes We Pay
- Taxes We Do Not Pay
- Invoices Over $1000
- Invoices of $10,000 or More to Individuals
- Check Schedule
- UMass Amherst Purchase Orders start A000 and consist of 10 digits.
- Include the department that placed the order and the contact name of the person who placed it, if possible.
If your invoice is missing a valid purchase order number this will delay your payment due to the fact that the invoice will then need to be researched.
If you received a check and are not sure what it is for, please provide the Accounts Payable Department with all the information that is on the check stub and summary. A/P will look the information up for you.
For this please refer to the Trustee Business Expense Policy Trustee Business Expense Coc. T92-031 (Appendix C)
All reimbursements require original receipts showing proof of payment. Proof of payment includes and is not limited to; bank/credit card statements (redact account numbers before submitting), original airline ticket or e-ticket stating payment, and original cancelled check. If originals are not received it becomes a tax issue and you a will receive a tax form (1099) at the end of the year. Reimbursements are "frowned upon" and payments should go directly through the procurement process.
UMass Amherst, Accounts Payable
Mass Venture Center
100 Venture Way, Suite 319
Hadley, MA 01035
You may also email invoices to Accounts Payable (AP). When you email invoices to invoicescan [at] admin.umass.edu, please put the Purchase Order Number/Vendor Name in the subject field. Before scanning the invoice, please put the Purchase Order Number, Fund Number and the AP Clerk’s Name who will be paying the invoice which can be found by checking the chart of accounts on the top of the invoice. If the disbursement is for a business expense please include the Business Expense Form with the invoice.
If you have single page invoices you can scan them together in one email however you need to put each Purchase Order Number/Vendor Name in the Subject line of the email. If it’s a multi-page invoice please make one email for each multi-page invoice making sure you put the Purchase Order/Vendor name in the subject line. If a vendor calls you and they want to email Accounts Payable with an invoice, please give them the email externalvend [at] admin.umass.edu. Please tell them to put the purchase order number/vendor name in the subject field and to make sure the invoice has the purchase order number on it. The invoice won’t be processed without a purchase order on it.
Please don’t make any additional notes in the message field of the email. Please make all notes directly on the invoice.
Please do not use these invoice mail boxes for anything but invoices that are to be paid. These Email addresses are not meant for payment inquires. If you have questions or concerns about a payment please call you’re A/P bookkeeper directly or call Accounts Payable at 545-4710.
- Name of Vendor
- Payment Remit Address of Vendor
- Valid Purchase Order Number (extremely important)
Rush invoices should be emailed to the Accounts Payable (A/P) clerk’s work email who is in charge of that fund (check the chart of accounts). Follow up with the A/P clerk to make sure they are aware of your rush payment. If you’re A/P Clerk is out you may contact the Assistant A/P Manager. Another option is to walk over the rush and give it to your A/P clerk. NO RUSHES should be emailed to the invoicescan@admin or the externalvend@admin EVER. These emails are for normal invoices and are treated "first in first out" along with the invoices that we still receive by paper.
Invoices reflect the charges for the current billing period. Statements do not have the information needed to "back-up" the charges and generally represent a different period in time. Paying current charges gives the A/P office and departments the ability to easily track payments and avoid possible complications to the billing process.
Originals are required by the federal and state auditors. Copies should not be used (with some exceptions) for payment in Accounts Payable. Paying off copies can lead to duplicate payments.
As a general rule, Accounts Payable will not pay late fees. However, per the State Comptroller if the vendor wants late fee payment they must compute the late fee based on Mass General Law - M.G.L. c.29, s.29...C815 CMR 4.00.
- Mass Sales Tax - Non-Employee reimbursement (individual)
- Mass Meals Tax - Reimbursment to an Employee Only (Business Expense Form)
- Out of State Sales/Meal Tax (unless the University has a reciprocal agreement)*
- Hotel Tax - City tax, State tax, Town tax
- Room Tax
- Gasoline and Fuel Taxes
- Airfare Tax
* If an out-of-state vendor charges us their state's sales tax and we have a reciprocal agreement with the state, we may be exempt. Please check with the Controller's Office for states that the University has obtained reciprocal agreements.
- Mass Sales Tax on goods - Vendor Payment (when using a university payment instrument) or Employee reimbursement only when an employee is in travel status
- Mass Meals Tax - Vendor payment (when using a university payment instrument)
- Mass State Excise Tax
- Property Tax
- Cell Phone Sales tax
Accounts Payable requires a departmental signature to pay an invoice when the invoice being paid is on a blanket purchase order for more than $1,000.00.
Accounts Payable requires a contract for services when the invoice is paying for services to an individual for $10,000.00 or more.
Checks are created generally on Tuesdays and Thursday. Checks are mailed the next business day unless Accounts Payable is notified that a special arrangement is needed. The check schedule is subject to change without notification.