- What are Chartfields and Chartfield Strings?
- How to Request a New Chartstring
- How to Inactivate a Chartstring
Chartfields are attributes in a Chart of Accounts. Chartfields make up a Chartfield String. A Chartfield String is used to define, identify, categorize and sort transactions.
The following Chartfields are used for Amherst Chartstrings:
- Fund - Type of Funding (Ex. State, GOF, RTF etc.)
- Department - Used to track information according to a divisional breakdown
- Program - Used to identify goups of related activities. The UMass Amherst Program Code is a combination of the NACUBO code and the A21 Code.
- Class - Optional field, used to further breakdown type of activity.
- Project ID - Used to track Sponsored and Non-Sponsored Projects.
To request a new chartstring, use the Chartstring Create New Request Form. Complete it and send it either:
- by campus mail to the Controller's Office, Attention: Chartfield Maintenance
- or by email to chartstr [at] admin.umass.edu (if signed form needed please scan and send)
To inactivate a Chartstring, make sure the Chartstring is no longer used for:
- Recharges (Example: Telephone, Mail etc.)
- Open Purchase Orders or Requisitions
- Procard or Travel Card
The following balances should be brought to zero depending on fund type:
- Budget Balance
- Liabilities (All Funds for Accounts starting with 2XXXXX)
- Fund Balance
- Other Balance Sheet Balances (All Funds for Accounts: 110001 to 299999)
The Controller's Office will clear off Fund Balances for the following funds:
- 11000 - State
- 51006 - Tuition Retention
- 51342 - GOF
- 52129 - Research Trust Fund