The Peer Advisors
Staffed by welcoming and well-trained peer advisors, the Communication Undergraduate Advising Office in N323 Integrative Learning Center (ILC) is your first stop for most routine advising questions. They work on a drop-in basis M-Th 10-5 and F 10-12:30 during the school year, so you can always find an advisor--no appointment necessary.
The peer advisors can help you with....
- Information about the Communication major
- Course planning and registration
- Applying to the major
- Questions about major requirements and how these fit with Global Ed and Gen Ed requirements
- Opportunities for Comm majors, such as internships, study abroad, and independent study
- Getting involved with the Comm Department
You can email the peer advisors with questions at email@example.com
For important information and tips on getting the most out of your experience in the Communication major, check the peer advisors' blog each week for new articles at http://blogs.umass.edu/askcomm
Click the Peer Advising Program link in the column to the left for more information.
Your Academic Advisor
Once you become a Communication major, you will be assigned your own academic advisor. This is a full-time advisor with extensive training in student development, advising, and regulations and resources in the department and across the university. Your advisor will remain with you throughout your time in the major, enabling him or her to guide and support your ongoing academic and co-curriular decision-making.
Your professional advisor can help you with....
- Course planning
- Questions about major requirements
- Checking your progress toward graduation
- Opportunities outside the curriculum—internships, independent studies, etc.
- Course approval for study abroad or domestic exchange
- Course substitutions and approval for Comm transfer courses
- Careers and graduate study in Communication
Look for your advisor's name on your SPIRE Student Center Homepage. Please click here to make an appointment. Our academic advisors are:
- Prof. Allison Butler, N322 ILC
- Saulo DePaula, N325 ILC
- Aaron Hoholik, N327 ILC
To make an appointment with an academic advisor, please click here.
If you are considering joining the Communication major, please drop in to see one of the Comm Peer Advisors in N323 ILC. They are your best source of information about applying and getting the most out of the Communication major and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS). If you have additional questions, feel free to make an appointment with one of the academic advisors by clicking on the link above.
The Chief Undergraduate Advisor
The Chief Undergraduate Advisor and the Undergraduate Program Director do not see students for routine academic planning and course selection (see your faculty or professional advisor or a peer advisor for that). However:
Prof. Lynn Phillips, Chief Undergraduate Advisor, can help you with....
- Issues related to probation or academic warning
- Advisor or credit alert holds
- Particularly complex advising problems
- Questions about the Peer Advisor Program
To make an appointment with Prof. Phillips, contact department receptionist Susan Dreyer, N308 Integrative Learning Center (ILC), firstname.lastname@example.org, 413 545-1311.