Undergrad questions answered here

Answers to questions about ...

Applying to the Communication major
Faculty and professional advisors
General Education requirements
Global Education requirements
Peer advising
Study abroad and domestic exchange

Applying to the Communication major

Q. Where can I get an application?
A. Pick one up in the Comm Undergraduate Advising Office, N323 Integrative Learning Center (ILC) or download it. Download an application at right.

Q. Whom do I see for questions about my application?
A. Someone in the Comm Undergraduate Advising Office, in N323 ILC, can answer your questions about the application form, prerequisites, switching majors, etc. Drop in M-Th 11-4:30 during the semester. Or e-mail your questions to the peer advisors at askcomm@comm.umass.edu.

Q. What prerequisites do I need to complete to apply?
A. If you entered UMass Amherst (not the major) September 2011 or thereafter, you must first take at least two of the following courses: Comm 118, Comm 121, Comm 122, Comm 125, or Comm 140.

If you entered UMass Amherst (not the major) before September 2011, you must first take Comm 118, Comm 121, and an R2 class.

Q. What criteria are used to assess my application?
A. Applicants should have at least a 2.7 overall GPA and at least a 2.9 GPA in their Communication classes. The application essay is also considered. We do not accept students with any Communication course grade below C minus or with Comm courses taken pass/fail.

Q. When should I apply?
A. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis—there is no application deadline. However, we cannot assess your application until we receive your grades in the prerequisite courses.

Q. How do I find out if I’ve been accepted?
A. Once your application has been evaluated, you will receive an e-mail from the undergraduate secretary, letting you know if it has been accepted, denied, or put on hold.

For more information see the Admission page of this website.

Faculty and professional advisors

Q. Who is my advisor?
A. Your advisor’s name and contact information can be found at the bottom right-hand corner of your SPIRE Student Center page. 

Q. How can I find my advisor?
A. Office hours and contact information can be found here. To see your faculty advisor, send them an email or drop in during their posted office hours. To see your professional advisor, click on Appointment Plus.

Q. How can my advisor help me?
A. Faculty and professional advisors can help you with course selection, checking your progress toward fulfilling major requirements, exploring academic and career opportunities, sponsoring an internship, and getting referrals to other campus offices. Professional advisors can also help with study abroad, domestic exchange, and transfer credits. If you have a faculty advisor and need help with one of these questions, click on Appointment Plus to make an appointment with one of our professional advisors.

General Education requirements

Q. Can I use Communication courses to fulfill the General Education requirement?
A. You can count one course toward both your Gen Ed and major requirements.

Global Education requirements

Q. Can I use Communication courses to fulfill the Global Education requirement?
A. No. We call that double-dipping. You cannot count a course toward both Global Ed and Communication requirements. If a Comm course is listed as an approved Global Ed course, you can only use it to fulfill your Global Ed requirements if all of your Comm requirements have been fulfilled with other courses. For permission to use a Comm course toward Global Ed, you can fill out a request form, available in 128 Thompson.

Q. Where can I get help with Global Education questions?
A. Please visit the SBS Advising Center, 128 Thompson, 577-1057.


Q. How can I check on my progress toward graduation?
A. Meet with your advisor to review your Academic Requirements Report (SPIRE), or drop by the Comm Undergraduate Advising Office, N323 ICL, to meet with a peer advisor. Either one can help you determine which requirements you still need to fulfill and then help you plan your courses.


Q. How do I get an internship?
A. Internship information sessions are held each semester in the Department of Communication. We also encourage you to visit the Internship Office, 511 Goodell, to speak with an advisor and access the database of available internships, or click on the Internship page of the Career Services website. If you need help finding a faculty sponsor, contact your advisor for help.

Q. Can I get Communication credit for an internship?
A. Internship credits can count toward the overall 120 university credits you need to graduate, but not toward your Comm credits. Sorry, no exceptions.

Q. Whom can I see for questions about internships?
A. Please visit the Internship Office, 511 Goodell. See the Career Services website.

For more information, see the Internships page of this website.


Q. Can I minor in Communication?
A. The Communication department does not offer a minor in Communication.

Peer advising

Q. What do peer advisors do?
A. Peer advisors are departmental leaders trained in advising, helping skills, and the requirements and opportunities available in the department and across campus. Learn more about who they are and how they can help you here. 

Q. How can I become a peer advisor?
A. Peer advisors are selected each spring for the next fall. Learn more here.

Study abroad and domestic exchange

Q. Can I work on my Communication requirements while studying abroad or on domestic exchange?
A. With prior approval, some courses taken while studying abroad or on domestic exchange can fulfill Comm requirements. To get an answer about a particular course make an appointment with one of the professional advisors through Appointment Plus.

To learn more, visit the Study Abroad and Domestic Exchange page.