Departmental Administration


Department Chair
     Prof. Erica Scharrer

Director of Engaged Research and Learning
     Prof. Martha Fuentes-Bautista


Department Personnel Committee
     Prof. Jarice Hanson, Chair
     Prof. Henry Geddes
     Prof. Claudio Moreira
     Prof. Shawn Shimpach
     Prof. Emily West

Departmental Representative, College Personnel Committee
     Prof. Anne Ciecko

Undergraduate Studies Committee
     Prof. Benjamin Bailey, Undergraduate Program Director
     Prof. Soo Young Bae
     Prof. Seth Goldman, Honors Coordinator
     Prof. Lynn Phillips, Chief Undergraduate Advisor
     Prof. Alena Vasilyeva

Graduate Studies/Admissions Committee
     Prof. Leda Cooks, Graduate Program Director
     Prof. Stephen Gencarella, Graduate Admissions Chair
     Prof. Gonen Dori-Hacohen
     Prof. Michael Morgan (Grad Admissions only)
     Prof. Emily West (Grad Studies only)
     Grad Rep. Tenzin Sharling

Community, Diversity and Social Justice Committee
     Prof. Allison Butler
     Prof. Donal Carbaugh (spring only)
     Prof. Briankle Chang
     Grad Rep. Yuan Gong

Coordinators and Liaisons

Alumni Career Event Coordinator
     Prof. Marty Norden

Colloquium Coordinators
     Prof. Mari Castañeda (fall only)
     Prof. Briankle Chang
     Prof. Shawn Shimpach

Honors Coordinator
     Prof. Seth Goldman

Library Liaison
     Prof. Jarice Hanson

RAP Liaison
     Prof. Gonen Dori-Hacohen (fall only), Prof. Donal Carbaugh (spring only)

Course Directors

Comm 226
     Prof. Emily West

Comm 250
     Prof. Gonen Dori-Hacohen

Comm 260
     Prof. Claudio Moreira

Comm 375
     Prof. Henry Geddes

Forms and Administrative Services

Click on links below to download forms

Travel reimbursements/Corporate cards

For complete details:
Travel Services website
Travel office, Joan White: 413-545-1405
Comptroller’s Office: 413-545-0806
Denise Storm, reimbursement supervisor: 413-545-0809

 Vendor File Manager: 413-545-1433
Corporate card program: 407 Goodell, 413-545-0361 or

Reimbursements overview

Typical travel expenses include airfare, hotel, taxis, car rental, tolls, mileage, meals per diem, transportation, and other business expenses incurred while on travel status.

Preapproval: All travel must be preapproved by the department chair, no matter where funds are coming from.

Pretravel authorization form: Reimbursements will not be made unless you fill out a pretravel authorization form. Actual travel dates must conform to the authorized dates. If travel involves missed duties, coverage must be specified on this form. Please include the funding source on this form as well. For further guidance, refer to the department travel policy in Appendix 2 of the Memorandum of Faculty Governance. Download the form and the memorandum at right.

Receipts: All receipts must be turned in as soon as possible, no later than 30 days after the travel. All receipts must be original, match transaction amounts, be in the traveling faculty’s name, and show proof of payment (an example would be the XXXX-4196 credit card).

Reimbursement is post-travel: Travel can be reimbursed only after the fact, unless a corporate travel card is used (see below).

Corporate travel cards overview

Corporate travel cards are available to faculty members so that travel expenses can be paid from faculty accounts, rather than out-of-pocket.

  • Apply: To apply for a card, please visit the Travel Services website to fill out an application.
  • For your travel only: The travel card is an individual liability, not the department’s. It is for the card member’s travel only; you cannot book travel for other people. In rare circumstances, nonfaculty travel expenses may be charged to your card, but you are responsible for those charges and they cannot be paid from university accounts.
  • Prepayment: Payments are made directly to the corporate card and can be made before the travel occurs (airfare, hotel, and other expenses).
  • Allowable charges: airfare, hotels, Amtrak, car rentals, conference fees, membership fees, ground transportation, fuel for vehicles, restaurants (while on travel status).
  • Prohibited charges: equipment, catalog orders, alcohol, personal expenses, supplies and commodities, entertainment.