Undergraduate Commencement: Information for Seniors
- Graduation Eligibility
A student’s year of graduation is established by the Registrar’s Office. To be eligible to participate in the May 2011 Commencement ceremony, students must have fulfilled all requirements by the time of the ceremony or be scheduled to do so by September 2011. Students scheduled for February 2012 graduation who wish to attend the May 2011 ceremony must file a “Petition to Participate in an Earlier Commencement” form, available as of February 1 at the Registrar’s Office (207 Whitmore).
- Commonwealth Honors College Graduation Eligibility
Commonwealth Honors College seniors are urged to meet with a Commonwealth Honors College advisor well before University Commencement, to confirm that they are fulfilling all requirements for graduating from the Commonwealth Honors College. At the Commonwealth Honors College Convocation, “Celebration of Excellence,” on Friday, May 13 (2:00 – 3:30 p.m. at the Mullins Center), the Dean of each College will present each of their graduating Commonwealth Honors College seniors with gold cords to be worn at the University Commencement.
- Commencement Program Listings
Because of publication deadlines, the names of students added to the graduation list after April 11 and the names of those who petition to participate in an earlier commencement will not appear in the Commencement program.
Students who have a full-privacy request on file but wish to have their names printed in the Commencement program must so notify the Dean of Students Office no later than the close of business on April 11, 2011. Those who fail to do so will not be listed.
- Graduation Portrait Sittings
Tuesday April 26, 2011
Wednesday April 27, 2011
Thursday April 28, 2011
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Memorial Hall
GradImages® has been contracted to be the official graduation photographer. Each portrait sitting is efficient and takes less than 15 minutes and will result in multiple image choices. Free proofs of all images will be e-mailed and mailed to you, so there is no need to make your purchasing decision on that day. You have nothing to lose! There is no obligation to purchase these photographs. The staff will have complete commencement regalia on site for you to use. Wear a nice shirt/blouse. Even though the provided gown will cover most of your clothes, the top part of the shirt is noticeable. Men, wear a dress shirt and bring a tie. Be prepared to look your best. Portraits may be of one individual or with friends.
Portraits will also be taken during the School and College celebrations on May 14, 2011.
- Caps and Gowns
Caps, gowns, and tassels (the cost of which has already been paid through your student fees) and an accompanying packet of four Commencement announcements may be picked up at the Textbook Annex, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., between April 25 and May 13. Students are strongly advised to pick them up as soon as possible. A student ID card is required to confirm eligibility. On Commencement Day, May 13, caps and gowns may be obtained after 3:30 p.m. at the graduate assembly area in Yellow Lot 11, north of the stadium. For students who are not on campus, you may request mailing by calling 413-545-3570. Mailing will be by FedEx and must be to a residential street address. Cost is $15.00 regular delivery or $25.00 for next day.
- Graduation Announcements
UMass Amherst Print Services offers graduation announcements personalized with the graduate’s name, degree, and major presented in either standard or customized texts. Many type styles are available. For information, prices, or to order, contact:
151 Whitmore Administration Building
- Hometown Press Releases
Each summer the Office of News & Media Relations sends press releases about in-state graduates to daily and weekly hometown newspapers in Massachusetts. Due to the large number of graduates involved, names are usually published in lists. Out-of-state graduates wishing to have press releases sent to their hometown newspapers must complete a form available from the Office of News & Media Relations at www.umass.edu/newsoffice or 413-545-0444.
- UMass Amherst Alumni Association
- The UMass Amherst Alumni Association congratulates the members of the Class of 2011 on their upcoming graduation! Explore all that your Alumni Association offers you, as you begin the next phase of your life.
- Start by registering on MaroonCentral at UMassAlumni.com, using your free alumni ID to access your online community and complete your profile, search for or connect with friends, and submit a class note. You can also access career tools to search for jobs, research industry data and trends, post your resume or find a mentor, and create your UMass Amherst email forwarding address.
- Sign up to receive @UMASS, the Alumni Association’s free monthly electronic newsletter, to keep you updated and informed of campus news, volunteer opportunities and events in your area.
- Our Career Connections programs provide interactive opportunities for you to network with alumni professionals and enhance your new career. Use online resources at UMassAlumni.com or attend targeted online and regional programs and workshops on topics of interest to you.
- Through more than 35 regional Alumni Clubs across the U.S. and abroad, you can participate in social, educational, cultural and athletic programs to expand your network of alumni contacts. Come back to campus often, and join friends and fans for Homecoming, reunions and athletic receptions.
- Be informed; stay connected − use your Alumni Association connection to enhance your life now. Go to UMassAlumni.com to register on MaroonCentral, or call 800-456-UMASS for assistance or more information.
- Commencement Ball
Graduating seniors will want to mark their calendars and plan to attend the 14th annual Commencement Ball on May 6, 2011, at the Mullins Center, when they’ll be able to celebrate their final days on campus with friends at the biggest graduation party of the year. The evening will include music, dancing, hors d’oeuvres, and desserts – all in honor of the class of 2011.
The Student Alumni Association is proud to host this year’s Commencement Ball. For more information or to purchase tickets, call the Alumni Association at (413)545-2317 or visit the Student Alumni Association web site.
- Class Rings
During the three days prior to Commencement, orders for class rings will be taken in the University Store. Rings can also be ordered from the bookstore online at www.umass.bkstr.com. On Commencement Day, orders will be taken in the tent outside the stadium.
- Final Preparations for the Ceremony
- There is no pre-Commencement rehearsal for students. When you pick up your cap and gown, you will receive a handout containing important information about the assembly area, gate assignments, seating locations, and related matters.
- School and College Senior Recognition Ceremonies
On Saturday, May 14, 2011, each school and college will hold a ceremony for graduates with majors in the school/college. A graduating senior should make certain that his or her guests know in advance which ceremony to attend and the location and time. (See Senior Recognition Ceremonies)
- Assembling for the Ceremony
Students should arrive at Yellow Lot 11, North of the Stadium, carrying caps and gowns, no later than 4:00 pm. They should follow the posted signs to the designated area for each school or college. Commencement Marshals will line up students for the processional and escort them onto the field.
Students who have not yet obtained caps and gowns may do so in Yellow Lot 11 after 3:30 pm.
- Commencement Ceremonies Timetable
Friday, May 13, 2011
- 4:00 p.m.
- Degree candidates arrive at Yellow Lot 11.
- 4:15 pm
- Degree candidates assemble by school or college, don their robes, and receive processional instructions from Marshals.
- 5:00 p.m.
- CEREMONY BEGINS
- 6:30 p.m.
- Ceremony concludes
- Saturday, May 14, 2011
- See Senior Recognition Ceremonies for a listing of all school and college senior recognition ceremonies, including the time, location and recommended parking locations.
- THE POSSESSION OR USE OF ALCOHOL AT COMMENCEMENT IS PROHIBITED.
To ensure the delivery of diplomas, all graduates should check SPIRE to make certain that their permanent mailing address is accurately recorded. Diplomas are usually mailed by the end of the summer. Questions regarding diplomas should be addressed to:
You may purchase your diploma frames along with additional graduation merchandise directly from the University Store. If you can't make it to the store, purchase online at www.umass.bkstr.com and have your graduation gear shipped to your home.
- Commencement Photographs
During the Saturday Senior Recognition Ceremonies for each School and College, graduates will be photographed in their regalia. Proofs of these photographs will be mailed to graduates along with order forms and information. To learn more, see www.gradimages.com or call (800) 261-2576.
- Commencement DVDs
A DVD program of the Undergraduate Commencement ceremony, shot with a multi-camera setup and supplemented with scenic views of the campus and its surroundings, will be produced and sold as a fundraiser by student-run cable TV station UVC-TV 19. Orders postmarked before June 1 will be billed at $35; later orders will be billed at $40. To order, mail a check payable to UVC-TV 19 to:
SUB Room 216
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003-7310
Credit card orders will be accepted only on Commencement Day at UVC-TV 19’s sales table at the stadium entrance. All orders will be filled in October. For more information, call (413)545-1336. To order or to view trailers from previous Commencement videos, visit www.uvctv19.com.