Traveling to and from Campus
Traffic into Amherst may be heavy as early as 7 a.m. on Commencement Day, May 13, 2011, so plan accordingly. Expect significant delays to begin two hours before the ceremony. To expedite traffic flow and shuttle services, local road closures and detours will be in effect between 3:00 and 7:00 p.m; most will be noted in advance at www.masstraveler.com. Detours will be marked with signs. Please be patient during these unavoidable delays.
- From the South, via I-91 North
- Travelers have a choice of two routes:
- Off Exit 19 in Northampton: From the exit ramp, turn right onto Route 9 and go approximately 4.5 miles to Route 116 North. Turn left onto 116 and go one mile to the UMass Exit.
- Off Exit 24 in Deerfield: At the stop sign at the top of the ramp, turn right (north) onto Routes U.S. 5/10/116, and immediately turn right again at the traffic lights onto Route 116 South and follow it for eight miles where officers will direct you to graduation.
- From the North, via I-91 South
- Follow I-91 to Exit 25 in Deerfield. At the end of the ramp turn left and follow the road to the intersection. Turn right onto Routes 5 & 10 South. Go one mile, turn left onto Route 116 South and follow it for eight miles where officers will direct you to graduation.
- From the North, via I-93 South
- Follow I-93 to I-495 South. Follow to Route 2 West. Continue on Route 2 to U.S. 202 South. Follow for about 15 miles to the blinking light at the Pelham exit marked “Route 9 and 116 Amherst.” Turn right and follow for seven miles to Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass.
- From the East or West, via I-90
- Travelers have a choice of four routes:
- Off Exit 8 (Palmer/Ware): Follow Route 32 South to Palmer; take Route 20 West to Route 181 North into Belchertown, and then Route 9 West to Amherst. Follow signs to UMass.
- Off Exit 7 (Ludlow): Follow Route 21 North to U.S. 202 North to Route 9 West to Amherst center. Follow signs to UMass.
- Off Exit 5 (Chicopee): Follow Route 33 North to Route 116 North to Amherst center. Turn left at the light onto Route 9 West. Follow signs to UMass.
- Off Exit 4 (West Springfield): I-91 North to Exit 19 to Route 9 East to Amherst. Follow signs to UMass.
Parking will be directed by campus police according to your campus entry point.
Following the Commencement ceremony, all shuttle buses will continue operating until 8:00 p.m. Those wishing to return to residence halls after Commencement may do so only under the direction of police officers. University Police will direct exiting vehicles along designated routes:
- From Blue lots 26, 31, and 45: North Pleasant Street to North Amherst and routes 116 and Interstate 91.
- From Red lots 32, 34, and 71: North Pleasant Street to Amherst Center and routes 9 and 116.
- From Green or Purple lots 11, 22, 33, 21, 25, and 12: Massachusetts Avenue to routes 116, 9, and Interstate 91.