Dear Campus Community,
As we monitor federal actions related to immigration status and other issues that directly impact the lives of so many students and colleagues, my administration and I are focused on gathering information quickly and responding in a timely fashion. As I noted previously, I want to emphasize that I will do everything in my power to support and protect every member of our diverse community.
Vital to that process is a campus task force that is coordinating responses to executive orders and changes in related federal policies. Today, I am announcing that this group will be chaired by John McCarthy, vice provost for graduate education and dean of the Graduate School. Other members include:
- Ed Blaguszewski, executive director of strategic communications
- Natalie Blais, chief of staff, Chancellor’s Office
- Tim Cendrowski, manager of personnel services, Human Resources
- Canan Cevik, president, Graduate Student Senate
- Pamela Dutta, associate director, Student Legal Services Office
- Robert Feldman, deputy chancellor
- Enku Gelaye, vice chancellor for student affairs and campus life
- John Kennedy, vice chancellor for university relations
- Ken Reade, director of international student and scholars services, International Programs Office
- Sandra Torres, immigration counsel, UMass Legal Office
- Kalpen Trivedi, executive director of the International Programs Office
- Anthony Vitale, president, Student Government Association
- Marinos Vouvakis, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering
The task force will closely monitor executive actions, initiate outreach to impacted members of the campus community, identify needs and resources, and provide regular updates on developments. The university has also established a website dedicated to providing the latest news and information on federal policy changes: www.umass.edu/gateway/federal-actions.
I expect committee members will be reaching out across campus as developments occur, but please feel free to communicate directly with them to express your concerns and provide valuable information and perspectives as we navigate these difficult times.